The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Spanky, I was wondering about your comments to the Ethical considerations on live rock collection because I can't seem to get any member comments! All I want is to know if there are any organizations that monitor live rock collectors and if so who are they. I think that the title may make some people think that I'm an outsider attacking our hobby, not a hobbyist! Oh and I'm really enjoying TRT! Its been great! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Austin I didnt read your post yet on rock collection, but to answer it here yes thier is. MOst all collection countries are governed by a cities agreement. This agreement set quotas base on each particular item being collected and shipped abroad. Thier are a ton more conservation laws set in place when the country joins Cities. Is it drop dead perfect = no, but its a good start.

Mike

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Spanky said:

and what will happen when you over fertilize them?
The corals puke them out.

mojoreef said:
Don Zoo's dont protect a coral from UV that is done by pigments, thats also where the color of coral comes from.

Mike
I was under the impression that the zoo's are what cause the pigmentation in corals which is why they go white when the corals bleach and expell the zoo's.

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cyberchef said:
The corals puke them out.
I was under the impression that the zoo's are what cause the pigmentation in corals which is why they go white when the corals bleach and expell the zoo's.
Not really Don, they turn brown. ;)

Not all corals are white, we have one that's olive. When it bleaches, it's pink.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Then would hard corals turning brown in our systems be a cause of higher than natural nutrients in the system versus change in lighting? Everytime you see posting about "this beautiful coral turned brown..." it's blamed on the tanks lighting.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
cyberchef said:
Then would hard corals turning brown in our systems be a cause of higher than natural nutrients in the system versus change in lighting? Everytime you see posting about "this beautiful coral turned brown..." it's blamed on the tanks lighting.
i think lighting is just an easy scapegoat for this. whenever you change the lighting the corals are going to change. it is an instant gratification thing on our part. i am finding out that Ca levels provide a lot of the colour problems i have been having. it had dropped down a lot lower than i thought so me corals were browing. i have since put the Ca level back where i want it and the corals are starting to colour up again.

G~

·
Registered
290 Posts
Spanky said:
Not really Don, they turn brown. ;)

Not all corals are white, we have one that's olive. When it bleaches, it's pink.
The color you see after the zoo's are expelled is the skeleton, correct?

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cyberchef said:
There's only one thing that makes a fuzzy stick turn brown. That's a overabundance of Zoox. What's the main cause of that? Fertilizer. What's the main fertilizer found in closed systems? Phosphates.

Now you can compensate for that higher fertilizer by increasing lighting to a certain extent. But the reverse of that is also true. Lower dissolved nutrients, lower temps, lower lighting can give the same results. OR Higher dissolved nutrients, higher temps, higher lighting. Up to you and really depends on what you're letting happen in your system.

That's why you'll see some people posting that they can keep them under NO or VHO lighting also.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.