The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a number of zoo rocks in my tank of various colors and a few little hitchhiker patches of pulsing xenia here and there. For a while the xenia was spreading/thriving and so were the zoos. Nowadays they aren't spreading anymore and they aren't as big and full as they once were. I have a big paly rock and those things are growing exponentially and opening up bigger than they ever have along with the rest of my corals.

I was doing some research and found that I might have a iodine/iodide shortage in my water as the zoos and especially xenia apparently thrive on it.

do you think this is the case? If so should I suppliment iodine/iodide and what do you think i should try to get it up to?

I never tested in our tank so i really don't know historically what it used to be at or what its at now... i probably should buy a test kit.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
its best not to dose what you dont test for as long as you do water changes regulary there shouldnt be a shortage as all of the supplements and trace elements are in the salt i would do a 25 percent every 2 weeks also you could have a pest thats eating the zoas try getting a coral dip and dipping them either melafix or iodine/lugols it would be best to dip in both

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Could be a parasite, yes but that would only account for one thing not doing well (unless there is a zoa/xenia predator I am not familiar with). Is there a water quality issue? That would be my first question. From that I would look into the zoas having a predator. The xenia is something else I think.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Water gets changed 4-6 weeks, we run phosgaurd, lots of carbon, and reef octopus hang on skimmer. no nitrites, nearly undetectable nitrates, no ammonia, salinity 1.023ish PH 8.3ish temp 77-79

livestock is emerald crabs, dwarf hermits, astreas, turbos, nassarius, conch, serpent star.

like i said in post they used to be super full and were spreading like crazy but now not so much

i've never seen any kind of bristleworms or anything in our tank, i do see the emerald crabs messing with the zoos occasionally but then i feed em and they chill out. but thats only ever one rock, the few other rocks are positioned kinda funny and i don't ever see the crabs on them and those zoos still kinda look puny too.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
well, this is why I love coris wrasses... they actively decrease the potential nuisance coral predator in tanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well the reason ur not having good luck with zoos because they like dirty water so if ur tank is always real clean they wont grow good will thrive but not grow my 75 I have all soft corals and I don't run a Skimmer I plan on just keeping soft so I don't think ill need one

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Yep, you can do that... I am skimmerless on my 40g, although it is still best to have a moderately light bioload when skimmerless. Softies can do well in a low nutrient environment too, but they like some organics rather than none. I have kept zoas and shroom thriving in a carbon dosed ULN (ultra low nutrient) tank... softies are more forgiving. I do not think that the issue is low nutrients, predators seem more likely whne I keep thinking about it. Look for nudibrachs near the closed up zoas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
would these possible pests be out during the daylight hours or more so at night when the lights are off?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts