The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I look at your pics and I look on ebay and the pics are just awesome. Do your zoos really look that colorful? It just doesn't seem like mine are like that, they all look about the same, blah. I got those zoos from piberoptix (sp?) and they were supposed to be this intense green, and I'm not even sure which ones they are now after the overhaul (see that thread). Am I doing something wrong? I have PC lighting, a 10k and actinic. Those eagle eyes, those intense purples and blues, I'd love some but I want them to look like they're supposed to!

Hey, post your awesome zoo pics here will ya? So we can all :drool:
here's mine, before and after enhancement. haha, there's Lenny peeking out in the corner!

Attachments

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Hard to tell from the picture (not sure if it is the flash) but the lighting looks really white. I have found for intense color in your tank you need to have lights that are more in the blue spectrum. The most beautiful tanks I have ever seen all use 20k lights and atinics, and you get amazing color! I plan on going a little blue on my tank, using T5's

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hahaha, hey my hair algae is pretty low right now! 20k you say? This fall I'm going to have to buy new bulbs, you have to replace them every 6 months to a year, is that correct? Perhaps I'll get a 20K then along with the actinic.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I had the same problem but not only with zoos. I had 2 175 Watt 5000k MH and I just replaced them with 2 175 watt 15000k MH and I couldn't believe it was my tank I was looking at. The colors came it in everything fish rock corals it all looked so much better. I bet your going through the same thing.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
jess, i just posted a bunch of crumby pics, but all my zoo's look just like they do in pics, alot of places photo shop to bring the colors out more, or take pictures under pure actinics, it really makes the color pop, but its false color. throw some actinics on your tank and im sure they will look much better.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
leveldrummer, more actinics? I've got the 36" long pc lighting with the 10k and the actinic, I don't know its power. I have a 20" long light hood from my 20g tank with an actinic on it from when it was salt... maybe I should put that on there too just to see what happens? yeah, I'm gonna go get it!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I wouldn't do more actinic, I think it makes things look like a dull blue. I'd go with a 14k instead of the 10k. Everything in my tank looks the best and brightest when the 14k is on.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, here it is with that 20" actinic set on top. I can see a difference when I lift it off, put it on. hmm, 14k... anyone else?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Jess! here is what iv been feeding mine LOL!!! NO!NO just kidding i been having good luck with 4 x 03/7100k dual Actinic 65 watt, pc
4 x 10.000k 65 watt pc 2 50/50 65 watt on my 75 gallon it just makes the color jump out at ya!
Brent.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow, what a gorgeous pic! Look at those blue rings on that light pinkish one! wow! I may be getting a new 14K!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
im sorry jess, i thought you were just running a 10k metal halide, thats why i suggested the actinics, your running the same setup as me, maybe some new bulbs would help, how old are they? with just putting the 20 inch fixture, your just adding more of both lights, your tank does look very white in the first pics, i was just suggesting some to add a little more blue, but keeping your fixture and switching the 10 to a 14 like sara said might work great too!

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks level, sorry if I confused ya! ;) I'm going to look into a 14K... these bulbs are probably a year old now as I bought the fixture and it was slightly used, pretty new, but I've had it for several months now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts