The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i got some kick butt gloves, razor, some rock snips, so im ready, im gonna fill a small bowl up with tank water. and do the surgery in there, but i want to know, how long should i leave the frags out of the water column? after i cut them, and attach or what ever. is it ok to go ahead and place them back in my tank? will the toxin harm other corals or fish?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Here's what I do and I do this every week because I regularly sell corals on ebay.

( BE CAREFUL OF EVERY MOVE. ZOANTHIDS HAVE DEADLY PAINFUL TOXINS. )

1st. I gather my equipments such as gloves, tools, eyewear & glue ( ic-gel ) also some frag plugs or frag disc, tank water. I take the specimen and kept them soaked in the water while I prepare myself for surgery. lolz it's better for them sitting in a saltwater than an open area.

2nd. I look for an easy cut so the colony won't get damage. I normally frag zoanthids only. After cutting or blading the tissue I dip them in a clean water tank for a quick clean up and then glue them onto a frag disc. After that I place them back in a clean saltwater just to avoid too much stress.

3rd. I place them back in my frag tank or the mother tank. It's fine to put them back in the tank and you have nothing to worry about any toxin spills affecting your tank.

Walllahh! In a day or two they would start to open and show new life. :D 90% survival & 100%Moolah on ebay.

- WARNING : Before I don't even wear gloves or any eyewear. Until one time I had a small wound on my pinky. After I fragged some zoanthids my little pinky were exposed to the liquidy toxins and it felt really really painful and then for a week my pinky was NUMB.

- So be careful.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone, im going it! im gonna try it, ill keep ya posted.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Good luck Andy! Take some pics so we can see how you did it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Sniff, Sniff, Sniff.....I smell a Fraggit! :D

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Good luck. I wont be fraggin but removing dead polyps. This rock is really giving me a head ache!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ReefNeck said:
Sniff, Sniff, Sniff.....I smell a Fraggit! :D
i knew you would turn up! haha, heres some shots of what im gonna cut, didnt get around to it tonight, but soon.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Andy! Send Reefneck RED Fraggits! I'm gonna steal them from him.:lol: :rotflmao:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ReefneckWidow said:
Andy! Send Reefneck RED Fraggits! I'm gonna steal them from him.:lol: :rotflmao:
im color blind louise, so... which ones of those are red? ill make sure to cut enough to put some in both of your tanks, after all, a friend (wife? maybe not friend) of keri's is a friend of mine.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jenajet said:
Nice pieces. You trading or just spreading them out?
i like trading, i wanna try to keep everything centrally located, i wanna flood it will lots of different zoo's, and other stuff. and i like trading to people who have helped me out tremendously getting started, and whoever else has the attitude of just having a nice reef, not making a fortune of it. if you have something to swap jena, let me know so i can cut some extra's.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Andy, Im serious about this, use protective eyewear such as goggles or work goggles, or a shield of some sort to protect youre entire face. I was once fragging zooas and some of their toxin went in my eye, (I wasent wearing any eyewear) and I had extream pain in that eye and developed a nasty painful infection.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
zxcv123 said:
Andy, Im serious about this, use protective eyewear such as goggles or work goggles, or a shield of some sort to protect youre entire face. I was once fragging zooas and some of their toxin went in my eye, (I wasent wearing any eyewear) and I had extream pain in that eye and developed a nasty painful infection.
i got it man, but thanks for the warning, im into pain and all, i was gonna try to lay back and sqeeze the juice into my eye just to see how bad it is, cant be worse than a black widow bite the the eye lid. but maybe ill pass till next time.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
leveldrummer said:
im color blind louise, so... which ones of those are red? ill make sure to cut enough to put some in both of your tanks, after all, a friend (wife? maybe not friend) of keri's is a friend of mine.
:D

The first picture looks like red(dish) ones.

:dance:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts