The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a colony of neon orange zoas/ on square tile...maybe 100 or so heads with green skirts.They came on a square tile..edge to edge packed TIGHT. Had them in a 29 gallon biocube with stock PC lighting for 2-3 months...did fine ...then upgraded to 90 gallon 6x54t5. Been in there healthy and growing last 6 months up until last week. I noticed they started to reach out onto other rocks. Great...well now they have stretched out on all sides onto the rock work. Seems a few made decent jumps to the rockwork. Only issue is they the heads are real tall and skinny. Is this normal? They still open and respond to light...just seem thin and tall.

I fragged maybe 10 heads off the original colony few months back.
The frag has already grown at least 3 or 4 full heads...so I'm stumped

Just did 15% water change yesterday.
All my levels are testing the same...as they have been.
Salanity is at 1.023...normal for my tank.
I dose Kent two part...as I did in the bio cube as well.
time for bulbs?

·
Registered
654 Posts
How are your other corals doing?
Have you tried moving the thin ones into higher light?
ime, if our mushrooms and zoas are not getting enough light, they'll stretch out. We change where they are once a week or so until they lie flat and open fully. Sometimes they're just being shaded, other times they want to be higher up.

hth

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
other corals are doing great. Like I stated...I fragged the original colony a while back and those are doin fine to very well...since I am noticing new heads on that colony. Can't move the thin ones...they have stretched way out past the original tile and and grown onto my rockwork. Pretty amazing....some stretched almost 1/4 to 1/3 inch sideways...planted and are now growing up.

they just seem real thin/tall and skinniy and most of the original colony will not fully open...they fully close at night....all the heads do open SOME when the lights are on....just not fully.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sorry, I thought you meant they were stretching Up, as opposed to sideways. Ours sometimes multiply that way; but again, usually in lower-light spots.
As for opening, I've only had experience with zoa-eating nudis and a strange sort of algae that both caused our zoas to stay closed/mostly closed. If you've checked for those kinds of things already, then I'm 'out' & will let the more experienced peeps give you your answer :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts