The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, about a week ago i bought a few zoo frags from a LFS. Put them in the tank, and they were doing incredible. New heads had even started to pop up here and there on a few frags. Yesterday however, I noticed one of the frags was not opening up at all. It is close to another frag from the same colony which is doing perfectly fine still. Water is all in check.
PH-8.2, Ammonia-0ppm, NItrite-0ppm, Nitrate-5ppm, and 1.025
Wondering if anyone had ideas to what was wrong. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Maybe try to put it higher? Otherwise it might take some time. I was worried about my leather a few days ago and now its popping open again, apparently once a month it would close just because.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I think i may have figured out what was going on with the zoos.Placement doesnt seem to be an issue as you can see in the background of the picture the same colony thriving inches away. I did however find this little guy a couple of minutes ago, which worries me because these are all QT/Dipped

Attachments

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
That looks like a nudibrach...they will destroy your Zoa's...most dips will kill the nudibrachs, but not the eggs. You need to remove the eggs by hand, and I would re- dip every week for the next month

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's exactly what I was thinking unfortunately. I'm going to start dipping tonight when I get home from work. It only seems to be the one small frag which is weird to me seeing how close they are. Hopefully the dip works out

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tank and LR have been going for about 6 months now, have had soft corals for around 4 months now, with no issues until now

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, just new to the game. Sorry if a stupid question but when dipping zoa's is it in R/O water and for how long do you dip them for?

·
Registered
138 Posts
u may need to move it. i had this problem with some of my new zoas and they were too high in the tank, had to move them down..they opened back up about a week later, now they are fne.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dip my coral in medicoral. It is just a iodine based solutions that kills the critters on the frag/coral. The one I use takes one gallon of tank water and 20 drops of the solution.

·
Keen Reefer
2,164 Posts
The lighting might be too high. I recently bought my first polyps and I didn't even know they were polyps when I bought them(they were closed). The guy there said they were and when I got them home, they opened right away. I think they weren't open because they were on the top shelf right by the light.

·
Keen Reefer
2,164 Posts
Whoops, sorry, didn't read the post about the nudibranch.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I noticed the Nudi on my corals right away, even in daylight. I would reccomend getting a coral dip after getting rid of the nudi with it. They've opened up daily and have grown quite a bit in the few weeks since the thread try it out.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Thought nudibrach were beneficial?
There are multitudes of species of nudis. The one pictured is most definitely a zoanthid eating nudi. The only one you might consider not removing is a berghia nudi but those nearly never hitchike in so they are typically only seen when purposefully added as there only diet is aiptasia. Each species will eat one particular item so on the other hand f it eats all the zoas they will essentially kill themselves.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
You will have to remove the zoa or zoas that have the eggs they look like white dots in a round or spiral pattern I had the same prob one time I had to cut out a few of the zoas

1 - 18 of 18 Posts