The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Big fish in a small pond.
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately certain colony's of Zoa's have been closing up and melting away. Other colonies are doing totally fine. I can't find any pests and water parameters are all good. I have read of some people dosing vitamin C to help sick Zoa's. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any other ideas of where to start? They have been closing up and the stalk have been getting thinner with some of the Zoa's heads almost melting off and dying.

~Danny

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
You can try the Vit C, but sometimes they melt away due to several infections such as pox. but I dose 1000mg of vit c a day for 300 gallons with positive results. Are they on a frag plug? A dip may reveal nudis which are very, very hard to spot on the zoa. I used the vit c to rebound after a nudi issue with positive results not only in my zoa, but my sps as well.

I just use the cheap 100% vit c tablets from the store with rose extract.

· Registered
97 Posts
The zoa colonies in my reef tank were devastated about 8 months ago.The first thing i noticed was patches failing to open.Then they seemed to melt away.Strange thing was other colonies weren't affected.
The culprits were zoa spiders which i never noticed until they had done loads of damage and the fact that they were nocturnal and blended in.They also seemed to target patches of zoas and wipe those out over a few weeks before moving on to healthy zoas elsewhere.
I still see the odd one but after nightly removing about 100 in all, using tweezers and good eyesight,the remaining zoas have grown back.

· Forever Reef
2,326 Posts
or sometimes as i've experienced....they just die :) i know moving them around too much will cause it.

· Registered
59 Posts
Same promblem here, I have some open and well and others dying. I have had zoo's for awhile and I know for some unknow reason they die. There is a reason why they are doing it but finding out is a whole other issue with these little jokers. I think I killed some by looking at them.........LOL

· Registered
391 Posts
same here, ive had quite a few just melt away i guess you would call it, and others that are very healthy and very bright, i have no clue as to why they are doing this, i never see anything on them during the day or at night. it has me stumped

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.