The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i've noticed these white blotches or white spots on my zoas...some of their mouths have turned alittle white as well. the spots are unseen when these guys are closed. what could this be? should i be worried? what can be done?

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have not trued that. But that's a pretty good trick... actually I have found that these spots are seen when they are closed :(. Im pretty sure they have zoapox. Any body have an easy way of getting rid of zoapox?

· Registered
5 Posts
Zoapox usually forms on the base or stalk of the zoa, not the head. It'll look like whiteheads just under the flesh. Only way to treat them, and I've only had sucess 50% of the time, is to do a Furan 2 dip. One packet in about a cup of water, mix well, set zoas in dip for about 15 mins, rinse in fresh RO, and put back into your system. Do 3 or 4 consecutive days of dip and let it rest for a week. Some heads may turn brown eventually and look ill. The best I can tell you is to carefully disect the head off of the matting or base portion with an xacto knife.

· Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,385 Posts
Zoapox usually forms on the base or stalk of the zoa, not the head. It'll look like whiteheads just under the flesh. Only way to treat them, and I've only had sucess 50% of the time, is to do a Furan 2 dip. One packet in about a cup of water, mix well, set zoas in dip for about 15 mins, rinse in fresh RO, and put back into your system. Do 3 or 4 consecutive days of dip and let it rest for a week. Some heads may turn brown eventually and look ill. The best I can tell you is to carefully disect the head off of the matting or base portion with an xacto knife.
its not the only way to treat them. I've had zoopox infect a few of my zoos and I only lost two out of 6 colonies. Almost lost 2 more but saved 1-2 polyps.

Here is what I did to kill it. First take the infectore coral and put it in its own tub of tank water, take an exacto knife and pop each "pimple" so that the whitestuff leaks out. Dont press to hard or you will breach the zoa itself and make it a lot worse. Once all pimples are popped and as much white stuff is carefully scraped off. take the frag out of the tub and drip some 3% hydrogen peroxide all over the zoo, giving it a nice coat of H2O2 and watch it foam up. wait 30secs to 1 min (use a timer) then place back in a fresh tub of tank water and swish the frag around to get the H2O2 off. Then back in the tank far away from other zoos to minimize the risk of infection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.