The Reef Tank banner

Zoanthid Care

656 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  pmarkj 
#1 ·
Hello, everyone!

I am planning on getting a zoanthid pretty soon and would like to know any extra tips on taking care of them. For example, water flow, placement, lighting, food, etc.

I won't get any until I know for sure how to take care of them!

Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
There are all sorts of Zoas/Palys...some which are minuscule like Clementines and hard to care for and some which are large like Grandis Green Palys grow like crazy.

Number 1 - selecting the frag
Make sure the frags are open when you buy them. You want them to be large and healthy.
Preferably with 5 or more polyps.

Number 2 - placement
They seem to be on the medium side of flow and light

Number 3 - feeding?
I have watched my zoas/palys consume a piece of clam,etc and basically close up on it and eventually open bigger than before ;)
I also periodically target feed and global feed Reef Snow or Reef Roids. I presume those who want it get it and those who don't ignore the feeding.

Number 4 - enemies
For the most part zoas/palys get along with most all leathers. Otherwise, as usual, check compatibility tables. I have found that a small red-ish clove polyp has been infringing on zoas.

Number 5 - GOOD LUCK!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.