The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a YWG before that died suddenly. This was discovered literally minutes before I left town for a week so I never got a good understanding of what happened.

A local club member was breaking down a tank and sold me the pair for 20 bucks. I didn't have a QT set up so I did one in a hurry. I opted to set up a tank with rock and sand and if it shows ich I have a BB tank I can setup. THe 10 he is in now has a glass top, but I suppose I should get a screen for my 30 long now right? I have the return pump ordered already for my tank which is going to involve changing out the sand bed so I think I may leave the goby the 10 until after that. I drip acclimated for about an hour and a half and both the water in the bag and tank read 1.025 on my refracto. WHile they acclimated in a shipping cooler they both hid in a PVC pipe togethor so they seem to be well bonded. When they are out and about I will try to get pictures.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and I used all tank water to set up the 10, the sand was rinsed and I put 4 rocks out of my cooking tubs in there and the Duetto internal filter that had been in the cook vat. I hooked up a Hagen 100 HOB w/ a foam block but I have no filter bags to run carbon in :(

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
you worried about him jumping? i have had a yellow watchman goby for years (same fish and my very first one) but i had never had a problem with that one jumping but i know some gobies will

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can take a picture of a dark and seemingly empty tank :rolleyes: Perhaps tomorrow they will be out and about. I had a YWG before and it wasn't really a jumper but I thought that was a risk with these. I will ask the dude I bought it off of.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still can't get a good picture. :rolleyes:

I am wishing I had an ammonia test. I don't know if the tank is accumulating ammonia. THere is a possibility that the rock and foam pad are both sterile and there is no biological filtration.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is starting to sound bad Jeremy.
I thought I still had an ammonia badge somewhere. I guess I will feed light and change a gallon a day. If anything looks off I will just change more water :). The rock bin looked like it still was shedding a bit of detritus so the rock should be live... maybe I ought to swap a piece out of the main tank just to be sure though

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I could pour ammonia into my cooking bins and see if I get a nitrate reading :nuts: But I can't ethically do that in my hastily established QT.

As long as he is looking good, and I am changing a gallon a day, I am pretty confident fish and shrimp are both happy. The goby keeps poking his head out of the cave now :)

·
Tokay Gecko Tamer !
944 Posts
Heh Pistol Shrimp are the Devil ! and kool hope it all works out for you looks like your doing all you can :)

·
Tokay Gecko Tamer !
944 Posts
heh doing better than me look at this one

he was in deep in the tank and held still Just long enuff for that pic lol

·
Tokay Gecko Tamer !
944 Posts
na just dont leave frags on the sand bed because that might be the last time you see Them lol .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts