The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Too Busy Fishy
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, not exactly STINK.... But they do have an odor.

Last night I reworked my frag tank a bit, and temporarily moved my frags into a holding bucket, and spent a few minutes examining some of them.

Some I was looking to see if I could detect any nasty buggies (no), and others I was just looking for remaining signs that they weren't totally dead.

Now my eyes aren't the best, and I found that the best look I could get was to get the frag right up my eye, and look at it without glasses, focussing very close. Doing that brought my frags very near my nose as well, and I discovered that the live, healthy frags had a particular odor to them. Not a bad smell (but not like roses, either). Not fishy. Distinct. And easy to pick up.

I found myself sniffing the frags that I thought were dead, trying to detect this additional sign of coral life.

These were all SPS, by the way.

Is this just more thegrimreefer wierdness, or have others of you discovered this as well? I don't think I've ever read about it elsewhere.

-Ron

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Ron, all sps smell when out of water, it is a smell across the room kinda smell, they stink. This is normal as far as I can tell. You are a brave man smelling all of them, I think they smell almost as bad as skimmate!

·
Too Busy Fishy
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that bad to me. The smell I REALLY don't like is the one that starts with: "I wonder if this snail is dead or not..."

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
thegrimreefer said:
Not that bad to me. The smell I REALLY don't like is the one that starts with: "I wonder if this snail is dead or not..."

:lol: That is a seriously nasty smell!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oh great, thegrimreefer has started another new teenage fad

coral sniffing

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
hey ron your not supose to sniff the snales butt! of course it stinks!:rotflmao: but i think a dirty diaper stinks worse than a half dead snale. :D

all coral stinks. i think its a defense mechanism so the fish wont eat them. would you eat something that stunk that bad. :rotflmao:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
would you eat something that stunk that bad. :rotflmao:[/quote]

When I was drinking I did..........

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
All life is bassed on smell. I would think some one as old as you would have read Descartes by now:
"I stink, there for I am."

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Loralie said:
The worst smell is a pail full of ticked off xenia....that reeks!

Harve...you ate WHAT!
Dont you remember?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Since I am on the Administrators watch list I better explain........
One night Loralie and I were getting drunk and we dared each other to swallow dead minnows......... :eek:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Theres a bar up in Alex (IIRC its The Corral) that serves Minnow Shots every Friday at happy hour. You pay $5 (I think) for the shot and get a t-shirt or hat to boot. So I too shot a minnow. One friend was certain she got salmon minnows because they swam upstream later that evening. Another got minnow-rea.

·
Registered
894 Posts
wags said:
One friend was certain she got salmon minnows because they swam upstream later that evening. Another got minnow-rea.

EWWWWW!!!!:lol: :lol:

I think thats even worse than downing it to begin with!!! :nuts:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts