The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
55gal tank started June 16 2006
60 lbs live rock... may be taking some out after next rockscaping
2 in sand bed ( in the process of becoming live :)
red sea berlin air lift 60 protien skimmer
cascade 200 filter ( 190 gal an hr)
1 power head (200 gal per hour)
250 watt heater
4*65watt pc lights
2 12,000K and 2 blue actinic and 4 led blue moon
( plan on adding more once I am ready to buy corals)

hichhikeres include
TONS of little brittle stars
a few slug/snail things
Zoo polyps
pink sponges
and plenty of coraline algae if I don't kill it :)

future inhabtants to be
Royal Gramma
Clown Fish - tank raised false percala
3 blue green chromis

urchin
2 peppermint shrimp
2 skunk shrimp
1 emerald crab - Husbands choice he WILL be watched and sent packing if he nibbles :)

some snails and a few hermit crabs to watch - still working on mix and types....

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Sounds nice. You may have to increase the flow on the tank. It is good to have at least 10x your volume, for a 55gal tank, a minimun of 550gal/hour, more if you want SPS.

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
adding live stock is fun and now I see where the addiction comes in - that and the need for impulse control YIKES!
We have added 10 narrsisus ( sp) snails - I love these guys with their snorkels too cute!
6 Astrea snails - nobody has fallen over yet so that's cool :)
5 mexican hermit crabs
1 redlegged crab that is bigger than the mexicans so he didn't get picked on ( the kids wanted him)
2 peppermint shrimp - we love watching thes guys
1 Tank raised percala clown
and my fav in the tank...
a small frag of pulsing xenia that after 6 days of being in the tank - oh was it a rough intro by me the aquarist ( i shudder to tell you all) IS PULSING!

Yeah it was barely attached to a small rock and it only has about 1o shoots and is like 2 -3 inches when fully extended - I dropped into about 6 times trying to get it on a rock and then it fell INTO the rock and blew it out and then FINALLY it landed on the rock where he now happily pulses away. I am so glad I didn't kill it *Bashful look and promises to do better next time*

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
added a maxie jet 1200 with 295 gph - darn near blew Nemo out of the tank!!!!!!!!!!!!
also switched ot a Rena 400 airpump rated fro 150 gallon to run the skimmer - LOTS better bubble action hope that will help it skim better
oh and more pics

Attachments

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will prob add the skimmer at Chirstmas time, Mine has really picked up this last week, tweeked my pump a bit and fiddled with water depth - It's a bit of a pain, but as long as I keep blowing my rocks off every other day it is pulling a nice dark skinmate..
I can see the stuff in the water and feel like a better skimmer will clean that tank out better...
remora c looked good but pricey...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts