The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank inhabitants were looking stressed. Well, I checked levels of everything. All normal readings EXCEPT SG. I managed to get it to 1.030+. Needle went off the top!!I was pickling my tank!!!! Did a big water change and got it to 1.026. I'll do another tonight to get it a tad lower. I hadnt realized the cummulative effect of topping off with salt water. While I knew not to, I didnt think the few times I had would make THAT much differance. Wow!!! What an eye opener. Perhaps this will explain my Tangs erratic behavior, shriveled leathers and closed hammer.

Message for other newbies: Dont top off with salt water!!!! Not even a little! Get a second bucket.....

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
WOW! Nicole!! Glad you got you salt reading in time!! Poor critters! A fast rise or fall in SG can cause a real problem to your tank!! Keep a close eye on it and let us know how things go!:)

·
Administrator
47,678 Posts
Just curious, why would you top off with SW? use on purifed FW and adjust SG through water changes, Hopefully the tank will be ok during the recuperation , Good Luck

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because Im a big duffus!!!

Poor excuse....I only have 1 rubbermaid trashcan. And it is always full of purified fresh or salt water. So when the tank needed topping off, and all I had was saltwater ready......."well 1 gallon cant hurt anything". I didnt realize I had done it that much!!! Whew....recovery is beginning. And I will NEVER make that mistake again! Plus new RO/DI unit coming on Tues that will feed topoff straight into tank :D

Chalk this one up to a hard,learned lesson.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts