The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: I know that we have all heard PLENTY about the nemo thing and it's repercussians. HOWEVER... in todays paper in the "Forum" section I find an article that I really took offense to. It is written by Heather Moore who is with the PETA group. At first I began to not only understand her point, but agree with her. As I read through the article I realized that this is a person who does little if any real research for her article. It's obviously slanted and anti anything in a "glass box". If you can please read the article and respond to this woman. I know... and I must tell you that my biggest pet peve is folks who plow ahead in this hobby with little or no knowledge, sacrificing fish, corals and all that go with it. It makes me sick to hear that someone has lost a tank or whatever because they went full steam ahead without doing the research needed. There is so much out there now (books, boards, trt members etc !)that there is no excuse for the folks who casually say things like "I got a yellow tang in my 30 gal tank and he is doing well" I'm sorry to get on the high horse but I am personally going to respond to this woman and attempt to help with her tunnel vision re: this article. I would encourage all to do the same. Heather Moore @ PETA 501 Front Street
Norfolk VA. 23510
Hopefully there is also an email address for her.
Sorry for my rambling... but I take this stuff personally.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is in my local northwest indiana times but since it is sindicated I figured it would be in most papers. If I can figure out how to scan and send it, I will.

·
Registered
479 Posts
On the nemo subject, does anyone think that keeping 2 clownfish in a 7 gallon tank is bad? I mean i saw an auction for this. Doesn't even include a heater. Has an undergravel filter, but says it comes with live sand. This nemo thing is way out of control.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know Alice I believe that it does, it is the Northwest Indiana Times, I get the porter county addition and the article itself is in the Forum section. Let me see if I can find too.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I tried doing a search of their website but came up empty. It also doesn't show among the stories for today on the Opinions page.
Ah well, hopefully you can find the meat of the article so we can all lambast the letter writer. :D

If anybody else wants to give it a shot, the url is http://www.nwitimes.com

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could not figure out how to send this as an attachment with my antique scanner. So i sent it to my two smartest friends to post for me. It should be on soon, as one of them is now a MODERATOR !!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
hehehe...oops...

i thought i could rotate that one and paste it but i guess not...this is another version scott sent me that is divided in half...this one will be better...

i hope...:D

brad

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
Kewl...
The only point I take issue with is her insinuation that we're robbing animals of all this 'free space'.
While I can see how she arrived at that opinion, I guess that she doesn't realize that space is at a premium on the reef and most animals don't venture much beyond their 10" or so patch of reef... and most of the roamers do so in search of food.
I do understand her point in this article, which is one I touched on in a post of mine before... people are totally losing the message of the movie.
I did name my cleaner shrimp Jacques though... :D

·
Super Moderator
22,646 Posts
Scott, was gonna post the email ya sent me,, looks like Brad beat me to it,,,,,ie: article

·
Super Moderator
22,646 Posts
Pirate said:
I could not figure out how to send this as an attachment with my antique scanner. So i sent it to my two smartest friends to post for me. It should be on soon, as one of them is now a MODERATOR !!!
aHEM,,,,just got home from WORK, 'member what THAT is? LOL J/K
as i posted b4, looks like Brad got it on here b4 me,,,,
now if we could get Brad to lose his "avatar",,,,,hmmm, i think i have the POWER to do that now,,,,, :rolleyes: :funny:
BTW Scott, on the Premium thing, i think they get in about 11-12,,,put in a email to Jason , and ask him ,,,never know,,,,

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think she does raise some valid points in her article - ie. cyanide poisoning, reef depletion, the novelty wearing off, etc. Disney has had cause to consider at least the "novelty" issue, since they created the same sort of desires with dalmations.
It is a shame that in doing this editorial, she didn't take the time to consult with those who know the origins of many of our fish these days - captive breeding programs that don't deplete the wild populations, and in some instances, can even assist in repopulation.
It's not speculation, case in point, the California Condor, one of the once most threatened species of bird. I was priveleged enough to have seen, in the wild, one of these magnificent birds while camping last Dec. (yes, Dec., just for the Leonid meteor showers)
That she didn't do complete research is a shame - fewer will take seriously what she has to say. Of course, being that she writes for PETA, I think I'll go have a steak, rare, some jumbo shrimp, maybe go have sushi after.

Lee

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
I agree, some valid points were raised but PETA, along with many other groups of this sort, are severely short-sighted when it comes to giving the other side of the story or any information that does not fit with their agenda.

It irritates the heck out of me that they assign human emotions to animals: "Fish communicate emotional states such as courtship, alarm and submission" Humans equate those things with emotions, I believe that animals equate that with survival.

It's no better than I expected for an aritcle written by PETA and it certainly could have been worse but rebuttal is in order. If I get a little time, I'll be looking up that url for the paper.

Alice

·
Registered
418 Posts
On the nemo auction thing that little fish boy brought up, I think that it's pretty sad that he is selling kits w/ out a heater and then shipping the fish via usps PRIORITY! What the heck?

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Anyone find an email address for this person yet? I have a few choice words for her! I absolutely chafe when I hear gross generalizations about our hobby! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr figures this would com eout on a *onday! :mad:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Here is another little piece that she is forgetting...these animals entire life is based on survival and reproduction of the species....They spend their whole lives fighting for food, and hiding from fish that want to eat them. In our "glass boxes" they spend thier lives being directly fed, and having a constant watch that none of the tank mates are giving them a hard time.

The assigned emotions are meant to make us think these fish "swim, and play talk and generally have a good time" when they are in the wild, then die of boredom in our tanks.

A captive bred clownfish knows nothing more than the glass box, just as a foriegn introduced species into another climate/region, they ADAPT to that area....it doesn't mean the ENJOY it, just that they are able to SURVIVE with those particular conditions. So in many cases the animals that are captive raised, that have only ever known aquarium life, are as happy or happier than those found on the reef. The fact that they will readily spawn and attempt to reproduce in this environment is a tribute to the fact that these animals are happy.

Just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.