The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this is a new one to me it's a white sac like, lump like, nodule like thing on my live rock. I got this live rock a insanly low price but now i'm finding all sorts of problems like , Majano, and tons of bristle worms, so now i find this white lump and i'm thinking the worst, any idea? sorry no pic. but is' only one lump about a half inch diameter, almost like an egg sac-ish thing? definatly not ick.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it's gone it washed right off my live rock, and i have way to many bristles and they are killing snails and some of my corals they are HUGE too like 12 inches maybe real big i soaked and rinsed my LR is FW and was SHOCKED by there size! but anyway that white thing my husband washed it right off and it hasnt returned thanks for he help.

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
Bristle worms are beneficial scavengers. Large numbers can be due to nutrient issues with the tank. If those issue are taken care of the numbers will stabilize.

I have several 12" worms, I love to see them crawl around but i've never had one kill anything or eat a coral.

Makes me suspect that what you have isn't the typical bristle worm, perhaps you are the rare case that has fireworms...a photo would be nice. Or it would be great if you could get a video of it actually killing a live snail.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heres a picture of one, i was looking up fireworms and they do seem to look more like that than a typical bristle, fortunatly they are dead now and they will not kill anything else but i have this one that i saved to show my son so here is a picture of it. He's all cured up and only a fraction of the size of most the other ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i'm just glad i got rid of them, i'm 90% sure they are fire worms because of all the info i've just read and the size of them, but yeah they killed a turbo snail and were starting to go to town on my corals. they managed to kill at least two but i got the others that look injured into a quarentine tank, so hopefully they make it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts