The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted on here before about not getting enough bubbles in the skimmer. (css 220) I have cleaned it all out, raised the pump closer to the surface, made the air intake hole a little bigger, and still not enough bubbles. I don't get any foam at all, I have to keep it adjusted so that what bubbles are in there are at the top of the collection cup..Could it be a bad pump? Like I said its working, just not like it is supposed to. Also, on the bubble diffuser it is about 1 inch above the white pad, and the diffuser itself is about 1/2 above the water. No hoses or airlines are clogged, it's basically as clean as when I got it out of the box...Are there any adjustments i'm missing, or should I just try and replace the pump..i know it's a rio, but I don't know what size...Or can I just run an airstone to the bottom of the unit to help with the bubbles???

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
I've posted on here before about not getting enough bubbles in the skimmer. (css 220) I have cleaned it all out, raised the pump closer to the surface, made the air intake hole a little bigger, and still not enough bubbles. I don't get any foam at all, I have to keep it adjusted so that what bubbles are in there are at the top of the collection cup..Could it be a bad pump? Like I said its working, just not like it is supposed to. Also, on the bubble diffuser it is about 1 inch above the white pad, and the diffuser itself is about 1/2 above the water. No hoses or airlines are clogged, it's basically as clean as when I got it out of the box...Are there any adjustments i'm missing, or should I just try and replace the pump..i know it's a rio, but I don't know what size...Or can I just run an airstone to the bottom of the unit to help with the bubbles???

Are you hanging it on the back? or in the sump? you must have a consistent water level, or the can give you a problem.
Brent.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on the back, and the water level is consistant...I have read every post I can find about these skimmers and still don't know how to fix my problem....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why, then i'll have bubbles everywhere...but yes i have taken the hose out to see if that would help but it doesn't...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just read that post, but don't fully understand what to do with the fishing line...do you tie it around the spokes so they are all tied together and don't turn independently or what???

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Tell you what. If that pump is located within 3 inches (thats the front of the pumps strainer screen is where to measure it from) and the air intake and silencer is located outside high and dry and above the water level. What you need to do is pull the pump out. Pull off that strainer assembly with the venturi . Physically blow through the air silencer one more time, and the air line to the venturi assembly (thats the part behind the strainer where the air line attaches too that runs to the silencer. Blow through it all one more itme. Then unscrew the front cover on the pump, and remove retaining ring (part you turned loose, turn it CCW to loosen) and then wiggle off easily the front cover. Go slow and easy with that cover as the end of the motor shaft the impeller spins on is mounted on the end of that cover, and the shaft is made of ceramic. Its relatively strong but does not like to be bent sideways much. It also has a rubber mount it fits into .don;t worry its not hard to do this......then use a tweezers or your fingers if you can grip the needle wheel assembly and pull it out. It will feel like its stuck but its only magnetism holding it in place, just pull it our off that white ceramic shaft. Make sure there is not any crud or junbk on the needle wheel, and replace it back in to the pumps housing and line up rubber mount with shaft and wiggle it back on and install retainer ring and venturi and strainer. If that needle wheel is cleanand is working which it must since pump is filling body with water it has to be making bubbles n the reaction chamber. If not, then call coralife and talk to Roland. I am most interested inwhat he would have to say if its still not working. I assume you do have the red adjustment know opened up and water is flowing out of the outflow tube end back into the tank. The key is the pump has to be within 3" (higher is actually better when it comes to making air and bubbles) and the air line to silencer from venturi has to be free of water and higher than the tanks water level.
Brent.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've already done that and its clean. i'm getting bubbles just not like i was onday 1. there is no foam, its just wet bubbles. i can either skim wet or really not at all. i cant adjust it to skim in between!!

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
I've already done that and its clean. i'm getting bubbles just not like i was onday 1. there is no foam, its just wet bubbles. i can either skim wet or really not at all. i cant adjust it to skim in between!!

What kind of load do you have in your tank? how long has it been set up?
Brent.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
about 20 snails, 1 emerald crab, 2 golf ball sized hermit crabs, 1 large brittle star, 2 clownfish, 2 firefish, and about 20 or so small feather dusters that were hitchikers...in a 110g and been setup for about 6 weeks...

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
about 20 snails, 1 emerald crab, 2 golf ball sized hermit crabs, 1 large brittle star, 2 clownfish, 2 firefish, and about 20 or so small feather dusters that were hitchikers...in a 110g and been setup for about 6 weeks...
Your tank might not be mature enuff! JMO.
Brent.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i understand that i might not get the skimmate that a tank thats been setup for a year would get, but what i'm saying is that i used to hav a billion bubbles in the reactor and now i only have a thousand..thats the best example i can give..its just as if the pump isnt pulling enough air into the system....?

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Is the impeller seated properly? I have had that problem when I replaced the impeller after cleaning and it is not exactly lined up right. The pump still moves water through the skimmer but it didn't really produce any bubbles. If so, try to remove and reseat the impeller.

Do you have tiny bubble in the reaction chamber? If not, then you are either not getting enough air to the needlewheel or the needlewheel is not working properly (see 1st paragraph). It could also be from chemicals in the tank like oils from your skin or oils from equipment. I doubt that your tank is so clean it produces no foam. Something is definitley wrong, please post a pic of the skimmer, that will help.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I read this thread yesterday and was having the same problem but didnt want to hijack the thread. I figured from reading this what was causing my problem. I was using a eheim as a closed loop and the eheims have a wet dry system that pumps water into the tank then stops fills the canister back up then pumps water back into the tank. One of the post here said the water level had to be consistent I realized because of the eheim mine wasnt. So this morning while working on my over flow I turned off the ehiem and its been less than an hour and I can already see a big difference.
Thanks
I'm hoping this may help some one else as well

1 - 17 of 17 Posts