The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Christmas Tree Rock...

I was told that this was a Blue Cat's Paw...

and the Closed Sun Polyps (I'll get an open one tonight)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
:D

I like the Porites with the Xmas worms, very nice!

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the Porites with the Xmas worms, very nice!
Thanx Tom! This could easily become my favorate piece. Can you see the tiny crab with little feather duster hands on the right?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Heh!

Missed that the first time, these "hands" are actually mouthpieces, specialized maxilipeds in decapods (usually the thrid set) that filiter suspended materialis from the water column. This feature is almost exclusive to the porcelain and commensural pea crabs (as well as the mole crabs common to the surf areas of beaches in the SE US coast). I love having these unusual anomurans in the systems, almost makes it worth all the issues with keeping a system with organics viable for them.

Nice specimens all!

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice! Is that porities still alive? Or just the worms?
The Porites is still alive on this one. :drool:

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Looks like you will be feeding your tank lots-o-phyto. You may want to buy a dosing pump to do it for you. I think I will be getting a auto feeding set up eventually.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like you will be feeding your tank lots-o-phyto. You may want to buy a dosing pump to do it for you. I think I will be getting a auto feeding set up eventually.
I was doing a capful a day, until I started seeing a Cyano issue pop up. Now I'm doing a capful twice a week.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
The key to successfully dosing phyto is to have a steady supply of it. Doesing a cap at a time will get the job done but will lead to algae issues. Dosing a cap full spread through out the day would be much better. Or if you have the time and patience for it, spot feed the dusters and what not that really need the food then dose your weekly cap full.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The key to successfully dosing phyto is to have a steady supply of it. Doesing a cap at a time will get the job done but will lead to algae issues. Dosing a cap full spread through out the day would be much better. Or if you have the time and patience for it, spot feed the dusters and what not that really need the food then dose your weekly cap full.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
That makes a lot of sense. I just never thought a tank would require a steady dosing of Phyto. Might make an interesting topic.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
You must have a real good LFS to get stuff like that from it.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Butch those are some nice pieces. they look greeeaatt.

Fred

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You must have a real good LFS to get stuff like that from it.
It hasn't always been like this, but lately he's been getting really nice stuff, and I get an email if he thinks there's something I might like.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Great pieces Butch! I love sun corals but dont think its the coral for me yet. But I'm learning.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts