The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I am new to this forum so I will start with my introduction, My name is Tim I have had a tank for almost a year now liverock, dsb, did have a yellow watchman but he died today, and aiptasia which is slowly being killed off. The tank is a 47 gallon bow front, 4 t5s, 3 powerheads, reef octopus bh1000 skimmer, and heater set at 78 degrees.

Ok so here is my problem, I test my water daily still as I like to log all my information in my little book. My water is better than great, atleast I thought until this past week. I started off with dsb, and live rock, I let the tank cycle properly infact I waited beyond what I needed to. After about 2 months I introduced my cuc consisting of a sand sifting star, 10 blue legged hermits, astra snails, nasariuss snails, and some very large snails for extra cleaning. After a week of feeding snails and crabs I added my 1st fish a yellow watchman goby. I do weekly water changes about 15 percent. So after about 6 months of no problems except aiptasia which I kill with aiptasia x until I get my nudis, which come in this week. I added a kole tang. I asked the guy at the pet store how long to acclimate he said 1 hour, I find out later that it is 3 hours, well that fish passed within 24 hours, I brought the fish back he refunded my money and I decided to order a copper banded butterfly, and spend a while acclimating. I have not gotten the fish yet as I want to make sure he is healthy at the store (eating, swimming, ect.) But today I come home from waork and my yellow watchman is dead. The only thing I noticed is his stomach was indented, so I think he starved. I also noticed that there are no more copepods in the tank which there were a lot. I think what happened is the ywg was eating copepods and only making me think he was eating the pellets and frozen meaty stuff and the cuc was infact eating it. I think the aiptasia and the ywg ate all the copepods and he starved. Again the water quality is great everything is good tank is clear ect. So i guess I am looking for a yeah thats probably it, or do not add fish until I find the problem. Any other ideas are appreciated, I am kinda new to this, but I follow everything I can to a T. Thanks in advance ladies and gentleman.

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
some Dragnets will only eat copepod. and i bet your watch man eats a lot of them to. i would bet, he starved to death. its a common thing for fish that only eat copepods. are all your levels still in tact?

Ps. welcome to TRT. its a great forum.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I had the same problem with a yellow watchmen. I had him for about 8 months and he was seemingly eating fine but then the last few months of his life he wouldnt eat. When I fished him out of the tank his stomach was indented, so I'm figuring he didnt like what I was feeding (brine&pellets) and he starved. If I were you I would get an easier care and less expensive fish to make sure your water is ok for fish. Get a clown or some blue/green cromis to start and then pick up your copperband after.

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
i have not seen my blenny, who is kinda like a goby. ever eat a pellet. but he is eating plenty of algae. however he still cant keep up. i like blennys better, the dont need the copepods like most gobys, and dragnets do.

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
i agree with buying a poop fish first. even if hes just in there for a week before the copper banded. is there any other living creatures / fish, still alive. and how long do u think he had been dead for?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to be careful of what I get next I did all the research of what I can put in the tank, my fiance has a 20 nano which is in her parents basement and there are 2 clowns and a dottyback, plus her cuc, rock, ect. but we are tearing that tank down and putting the livestock into the bigger tank and using hers for a sump, or a nudi breeder/aipatasia grower. I do not want to get something that I do not plan to keep, but I also do not want to throw something in there if it is going to die in a night. Maybe another watchman as they look soooooo neat and fit in well with my vision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i agree with buying a poop fish first. even if hes just in there for a week before the copper banded. is there any other living creatures / fish, still alive. and how long do u think he had been dead for?
No fish but stars and cuc as stated above. This is my issue, I know stars are very fragile species and issues in the tank would be seen there first, also nassarius snails all 10 alive and moving. It looked as maybe late last night or this morning he was stuck to the intake side of the powerhead. Oh maybe this will also help, he never came out if people were around I would feed pellets and meaty frozen stuff, and walk away, within 15 minutes he would be out gaurding his cave system. Yesterday he was out and swimming around, which was very odd behavior for him/her.

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
No fish but stars and cuc as stated above. This is my issue, I know stars are very fragile species and issues in the tank would be seen there first, also nassarius snails all 10 alive and moving. It looked as maybe late last night or this morning he was stuck to the intake side of the powerhead. Oh maybe this will also help, he never came out if people were around I would feed pellets and meaty frozen stuff, and walk away, within 15 minutes he would be out gaurding his cave system. Yesterday he was out and swimming around, which was very odd behavior for him/her.
i have had stars go through some rough times. (nitrogen cycle) your snails are alive? i hope u do know your hermits will kill them for there shell. and if the turbo snails (u said u got big snails are there Mexican turbo snails?) fall over, they will die, and most of the time, you cant find them. he was probably looking for food.
and the only real problem with butterfly fish is that some like to eat/ mess with nems.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Don't get a copper band butterfly if you are still figuring out things; they are a bit more difficult to keep.
My yellow watchman goby eats everything, but there will be a week that he doesn't eat flake food, or a week that he doesn't eat mysis.

With regards to acclimation, I do 1 hour per .001 of specific gravity difference (eg. 1.024 to 1.026 needs two hours). After a couple problems years back, this method has always worked. Ask the store what the specific gravity of the particular tank is. Note that many stores will have a higher SG for tanks with coral (e.g. 1.024) and a lower SG for tanks with fish only (e.g. 1.020).

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
the way lfs do that, can be a real problem, like u were saying an hour per .01 difference. can be some where like 4-6 hours acclimating. when going from a lfs fish only tank. to a reef tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts