The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Schroeder
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks ago now, I purchased 4 fish. These are my only saltwater fish I have ever owned. When I put my fish in their tanks, they all seemed fine and would swim around except for my tang. He just hides day in and day out. He jolts out when I put food into the tank but he never moves more than 6 inches away from his cave. About four days ago I shook a food container near the tank to try to get the fish the idea that I was going to feed them. The tang got scared and kept jolting around in his cave. The next day I looked at him and he was white from being overstressed. I just don't know what I can do to make things easier for him. I recently bought more live rock in an attempt to give him more places to hide so maybe he will move around more, but that didn't work. Is this normal or does anyone got any ideas of what I can do to help him loose this fear?

P.S. I exaggerated a bit. He does come out of his cave if I sit and watch him for over 10 minutes but he always just does a quick circle around a rock and goes back in.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
That is my Tang too...he doesn't just sit still, but is always moving around. He's also a bit shy. Sometimes, having a bunch of smaller, schooling fish like chromis tend to calm the bigger ones...takes the pressure off because there are other things to watch.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Sounds about right for normal behavior of a yellow tang. Some are the most social fish in the tank, some are very reclusive like yours. So long as it's eating and looking healthy, I wouldn't get too worried. Over time, and once you get more "social" fish in the tank, I think you'll see a lot more of him. If you really feel you need to do something, try adding some garlic to your food, as it can help boost the immunity of your fish and make the food more appealing to the fish. Several garlic supplements are out there, and I'm sure Matt at OTP has one that you could try out.

-Joe

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Right on Joe! oh, and remember that he is probably the resident Tang expert...he's had more tangs than the rest of us combined!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
My yellow is the same way also. Very skittish (sp? joe?)

On a side note, WHO told you that you could put any tang in a 55?

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Lol good one joe.

·
THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,622 Posts
a 55g tank is fine for 1 small yellow tang.....they arent darters like p.blue and browns and reguls and all....BUT you will have to upgrade to a larger tank as the fish matures.....this is a 4ft 55 right?

does joes tangs ACTUALLY count since well yall know why!!! LOL....:fish:

·
THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,622 Posts
like joe said....some are social and some arent....add some smaller fish....my yellow actually stays out in the open and investigates as im in the tank messing with stuff....but my other 2 tangs go into hiding untill im done.

mine actually acts like the POLICE of the tank and keeps the other 2 tangs in line:lol:

·
Schroeder
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a 55g tank is fine for 1 small yellow tang.....they arent darters like p.blue and browns and reguls and all....BUT you will have to upgrade to a larger tank as the fish matures.....this is a 4ft 55 right?

does joes tangs ACTUALLY count since well yall know why!!! LOL....:fish:
Yes it is a 4 ft and I do plan on upgrading.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
At least I've killed more Green Chromis than tangs. :p

Yeah, I've gone through several, but I thought that makes me an expert?!? ;)

·
THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,622 Posts
Yes it is a 4 ft and I do plan on upgrading.
ok....ya as long as its a 4ft-er youll be fine...just dont get carried away with large fish and other tangs in it. 2 SMALL tangs would be plenty for a 55g...

At least I've killed more Green Chromis than tangs. :p

Yeah, I've gone through several, but I thought that makes me an expert?!? ;)
LOL.....ya well...if you say so!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts