The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, it was swimming fine this morning and all of a sudden it was trying to jump off the water and started to swin vertically and breathing very hard. I also checked the water params and it's all normal. Other tank inmates are also doing fine, corals, clown fish, goby....etc.

As you can see, tang is very healthy and it was eating well. No sign of any ICH or any diseases.

I'm still trying to figure what had happened to this poor guy. Maybe you guys had the same scenario, help me out here.

Thank's!

( This is the same tang from the calendar photo )







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was really fast. He didn't even last an hour after that water jump scenario. If it's was an electric shock, it would've shocked the whole tank but didn't.

I know I can always buy another one and this type of fish is cheap but he'd been very comfortable living in the tank for quite sometime now.

I was even making a cardiac arrest joke so the wife won't feel bad.
 

·
Tang Lover
Joined
·
7,326 Posts
Wow..other than being dead...that's the healthiest looking yellow tang I've ever seen. No clue.

My first guess would be stray voltage? But I would think that would have affected every critter in the tank. Unless it was local, and he was BY something?

My next guess you won't like...but I'd think killer Jellyfish!! (irikanji)

j/k

Truly sorry...wish I was of more help (or ANY help for that matter).

But seriously...beautiful speciman. Truly sorry for the loss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know skeety but thank's. it's really weird! other than a cardiac arrest or maybe the fish drowned. lolz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Out of seemingly nowhere my YT swims very eratically.Really starts to freakout momentarally. Then it calms down.
Your story doesn't surprise me. Perhaps they are suseptical to stay voltage more than other fish.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,625 Posts
Sorry for your loss man. I had a lion do the exact same thing years back. i wouldn't think it was stray voltage because he would have shown lateral line erosion before now. it may be an internal infection or yes... a heart attack from something. animals can have heart issues (turtles). the only way to tell for sure would be to cut him open and see if there is something in his internal organs and then see if his brain has an infection.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
26,860 Posts
Oh no, John! I'm so sorry to hear about your loss :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank's guys. Yes, I will replace him soon. Maybe it has something to do internally. It's really weird and up until now I don't know the exact reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,317 Posts
i would say the fact that he is laying on a table instead of being in water might have something to do with it.... i had one go like that too, lfs never said to submerge it. just kiddin, trying to lighten the mood. sorry for the little fish though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
leveldrummer said:
i would say the fact that he is laying on a table instead of being in water might have something to do with it.... i had one go like that too, lfs never said to submerge it. just kiddin, trying to lighten the mood. sorry for the little fish though.
:beer: I thought he was drowned you know. lolz
 

·
Little fish in a big pond
Joined
·
5,916 Posts
I'd check for voltage. Yes if it was long-term stray voltage (lower voltage) it may have exhibited lateral line, but if it was sudden, higher voltage it could have taken him down fast. Tangs and angels seem to be more sensitive to this - so your other fish may not feel it *yet*.

Other than that I have no idea - looks like a great specimen.

Sorry for your loss :(

Jenn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JennM said:
I'd check for voltage. Yes if it was long-term stray voltage (lower voltage) it may have exhibited lateral line, but if it was sudden, higher voltage it could have taken him down fast. Tangs and angels seem to be more sensitive to this - so your other fish may not feel it *yet*.

Other than that I have no idea - looks like a great specimen.

Sorry for your loss :(

Jenn
You know what, I think it has something to do with low voltage shocked.

My wife was the one who woke me and told me something had happened in the tank. She heard all equipments stopped for at least 3 seconds and yellow tang was jumping , splashing in the tank and just dropped to the sandbend and breathing hard after that.

I didn't see any marks on the fish
but it's a little weird seeing a fine fish just drop dead, don't you think?

Ok if it's an electrical low voltage shock, how do I fix it? I don't know which is which.
 

·
Little fish in a big pond
Joined
·
5,916 Posts
If you had a power surge, that could have done it - and/or shorted out a piece of equipment: Heater, pump etc. It still may "work" but it could be leaching voltage into the water. Check it out - I've seen it happen several times.

Jenn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But how do I check which is which? whew~ is there an equipment or tool to help me find out which equipment in my tank leaking voltage? tnx!
 

·
The Bitter Mod
Joined
·
7,059 Posts
You need a multimeter.( I believe that's what its called) Ground it and then stick the other end in your tank. If it shows any voltage unplug everything and then start replacing them one by one until you isolate the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
theplatypus said:
You need a multimeter.( I believe that's what its called) Ground it and then stick the other end in your tank. If it shows any voltage unplug everything and then start replacing them one by one until you isolate the problem.
Ok BLACK lead is usually ground, always needed to do readings, RED is touched to voltage lines or points.

I will give it a shot otherwise I'd end up buying new powerheads instead.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
238 Posts
I just thought that I would throw this out there. That white dot on its tail is its protective mechanism. It comes out and goes in like a switchblade in order for the tang to use it to protect itself. The brown ridge around the outside actually looks like it might have been stuck in. This would cause the tang an EXTREME amount of stress in the event that it could not release it. I dont know if there are any other animals that chase it in the tank, but I wouldnt be surprised if you have something territorial in there that would jump after it to protect its little area.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top