The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ReefKeeper
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 weeks ago, I bought a very nice yellow scroll coral at a bay area store. The yellow in the coral was very bright. It was very similar in color to my lemon tang. Anyway, since putting it in my tank, it's lightened up quite a bit. It's much more of a mustard/dull yellow now. I picked up the coral and looked at the underside. It's still the bright yellow that I remember.

I have many SPS LPS in the tank and have for well over a year. All a very healthy. Water parameters are all very good (i.e. nitrates are 2ppm or below). Ca and Alk and managed daily by 2 part additions. One other note, the coral has what I would call polyps that extend during the day about 1/4" or so. I'm thinking that is a good sign based on my limited experience with this specific coral.

I'm thinking that the coral is getting too much light. I have MH's but they are only 150 DE's. I can post a pic later but thought i'd see if anyone had ideas based on the description. Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
About 3 weeks ago, I bought a very nice yellow scroll coral at a bay area store. The yellow in the coral was very bright. It was very similar in color to my lemon tang. Anyway, since putting it in my tank, it's lightened up quite a bit. It's much more of a mustard/dull yellow now. I picked up the coral and looked at the underside. It's still the bright yellow that I remember.

I have many SPS LPS in the tank and have for well over a year. All a very healthy. Water parameters are all very good (i.e. nitrates are 2ppm or below). Ca and Alk and managed daily by 2 part additions. One other note, the coral has what I would call polyps that extend during the day about 1/4" or so. I'm thinking that is a good sign based on my limited experience with this specific coral.

I'm thinking that the coral is getting too much light. I have MH's but they are only 150 DE's. I can post a pic later but thought i'd see if anyone had ideas based on the description. Thanks

Dan
If the underside is still the same color, then I would think its getting too much light.

·
11,345 Posts
A pic would be great. The turbinaria i have had that are the color scheme you mention have a deep mustard color when happy and healthy........they are lighter yellow on the bottom and of course bright yellow on the edges.

I highly doubt its too much light, they can take pretty much anything you give them.

How is the polyp extension??

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
A pic would be great. The turbinaria i have had that are the color scheme you mention have a deep mustard color when happy and healthy........they are lighter yellow on the bottom and of course bright yellow on the edges.

I highly doubt its too much light, they can take pretty much anything you give them.

How is the polyp extension??

:idea:how about 130w 10k PC ?:idea:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts