The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My yellow Polyps that I have had for a while: Some look a little grenish rather than that yellow. Ive seen pretty good growth in them. But the buds (little polyps attached to the parent) are all closed! Why?? All lps is doing great and the leathers & gorgonian are thriving.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I'm not positive, but I think iron turns yellow corals to green-sometimes florescent green. Again, not positive, hopefully someoone will chime in...

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
could just be the lights, corals morph colors some too, just watch and make sure nothing looks like its dying.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
John, I'm sorry to hear that - - have you checked your phosphate levels? Just a thought. Higher than normal phosphates can make my yellow polyps remain closed for a time...

HHC

·
Lost Fish
1,203 Posts
What type of lights are you running? If you have a lot of actinic, maybe that is causing an illusion of the polyps being green. Blue and yellow will make an illusion of green. Just throwing the though out there.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
i have had yellow polyps for awhile now and i can tell you they were never a true sunny yellow, instead there a yellowish green. thats how yellow polyps are. when they are closed they will look darker, open they get lighter in color. so if the smaller polyps are closed then they will take on a greener appearence.
i call their color a "muddy" yellow. maybe somewhere they sell pure bright sunny yellow polyps but i havent come across any yet.
is the rest of the colony open? or if its a new addition just give them a few weeks to open fully....but dont expect great color from them unless you got some cool super yellow polyps that i dont know about :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts