The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am looking for some advice on feeding the yellow longnose butterfly fish. My tank has always been feeding on using the New life spectrum 1mm pellets and as always the fish are healthy and used to absolutely love it.

However recently I purchased a Yellow longnose butterfly despites all efforts it will just refuse to touch any of the pellets I put in and it will only takes the frozen mysid shrimp doesn't matter how long I try to starve him.

Now the problem of feeding the tank with mysid shrimp is that some of the long term NLS pellets feeder now refused to take them anymore.:mad::mad:

I want to know if anyone has a successful story on converting their YLN onto pellets?

thanks

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I've heard these guys are pretty tough to get to eat anything so I'd count yourself lucky that you got him eating frozen. I definitely wouldn't recommend starving him to get him interested in the pellets. Maybe mix the pellets together with the mysis (or whatever else you can get him interested in) and that will get him to take a taste?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard these guys are pretty tough to get to eat anything so I'd count yourself lucky that you got him eating frozen. I definitely wouldn't recommend starving him to get him interested in the pellets. Maybe mix the pellets together with the mysis (or whatever else you can get him interested in) and that will get him to take a taste?
I am have managed to slowerly introduce pellets to the fish by soaking it in water before feeding :) :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello all,

I am looking for some advice on feeding the yellow longnose butterfly fish. My tank has always been feeding on using the New life spectrum 1mm pellets and as always the fish are healthy and used to absolutely love it.

However recently I purchased a Yellow longnose butterfly despites all efforts it will just refuse to touch any of the pellets I put in and it will only takes the frozen mysid shrimp doesn't matter how long I try to starve him.

Now the problem of feeding the tank with mysid shrimp is that some of the long term NLS pellets feeder now refused to take them anymore.:mad::mad:

I want to know if anyone has a successful story on converting their YLN onto pellets?

thanks
Alright. I don't want to offend you or anything but you are making a huge mistake here. First thing's first, no matter how good one food is you will not want to feed your whole tank on that food only. Say you really like... lasagna. You like that lasagna so much you decide to eat lasagna only. Sure, it's paradise at first but eventually, you are deprived of vital nutrients that you need but lasagna alone cannot provide. This is the same case with the fish, likely even more so because of their delicate immune systems. In fact, I like to keep pellet and flake feeding with my fish at a minimum, and go for more natural, stimulating foods like frozen or freeze-dried foods. Live foods are the best. Second, you will want to feed your fish a wide variety of natural foods as well. Back to the lasagna example; restricting yourself to one source of energy only (in this case the lasagna) is not only nutritionally detrimental but also reduces your stimulation to eat. Eventually, no matter how good the lasagna, you will get tired of eating curvy pasta with meat sauce and start to crave something else. As an omnivore, the butterflyfish will need an adequate intake of seaweed, frozen food (frozen cyclops works better with butterflies) and, though avoidable but still an option, dry prepared foods such as pellets and flakes. Try to replicate what your fish will normally eat in the wild. If you do this, then not only will your fish enjoy life and live longer but they will also retain their natural colors in a natural way (no more color enhancers) and be hardier, disease resistant and grow up strong and healthy. All aquarists attempt to do this, and natural food is the key.
Good luck,
FlameAngelfish:goldfish:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Trust me, it's a pain in the gills at first but eventually it'll be worth its money. Another feeding tip: When you have no choice but to feed one food (say... a mandarinfish that will only eat frozen cyclops) then vary it up a little bit by differing the brands of food. My cousin works at a pet shop and he takes care of the saltwater fish department. In a case similar to this, what he does is feed that picky mandarinfish a bit of San Francisco Bay Cyclops Shrimp one day and then Cobalt Aquatics Frozen Cyclops the next. For the butterflyfish to feed, a good start-off food would be Cobalt Aquatics Frozen Marine Omni Cubes.
FlameAngelfish:goldfish:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts