The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just purchased a yellow leather coral (like a toadstool) and i place it about 3" from my bubble coral
i have seen the bubble send out sweepers before but not actually come in contact with the leather.
this morning i noticed on the side facing the bubble coral the leather has turned black. im wondering if its been attacked by the bubble? and can it kill the entire leather or just that side will die off?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Good bubbles can sting pretty hard its amazing how far the sweepers reach out sometimes give him lots of room.:beer:

·
Registered
454 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I would move it as soon as possible. I almost lost my organ pipe like that
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Geez! It is hard to believe something named bubble and looking like a bunch of balloons could be so EVIL!:eek:

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Geez! It is hard to believe something named bubble and looking like a bunch of balloons could be so EVIL!:eek:
LOL
yeah this is the first attack ive ever had
must be one angry bubble
i took pics, ill post them in a lil bit just to make sure it is indeed an attack wound and not some disease etc

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okee took a few pics, this is before i moved it so its in the origional spot next to the bubble. its also next to the frogspawn but the frog has never released its sweepers (as far as i know but 99% sure)
its a small 12g nano so its hard to place anything far enough appart
so are these sting marks? it looks burnt, still hasnt opened up its flowery polyps but it is just a few days old still

Attachments

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Just send me that bubble and I keep him in line! Just Kidding, lol tho not really:ac11: Love the color. I would move the leather tho.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ouch that poor colt
i keep watching waiting to see if i can catch the bubble in action
his sweepers are out alot :(
hmm can i cut them with a scissor? hehe

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Pastina I have a pink leather do the same thing the other day. I posted a thread (What is this? What should I do?) along with pix. I waited awhile and was told to cut the black part off. To my amazement when I went back to cut the black section off I could see where it was blowing off kinda like a scab.
Patrick

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well this morning its worse, now it has black in other parts not even near other corals. so after doing some research ive come to the conclusion that its not sting marks from the hammer but a necrotic infection which yellow leathers are very prone too.
yep i can cut off the parts that will help. says im supposed to cut an inch past the black areas, which will leave me with a stub lol. now can i do this? probably not, im really squeemish and im not into touching corals and no way do i wanna cut it up.
so ill wait a few more days to see how it goes then ill email live aquaria and tell them its sick and ill get credit or something

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thnx :(
it would have been a nice coral too, but oh well i only had it a few days so i dont feel too upset.
not sure what to replace it with, something as a back wall decoration. i thought about xenia but i dunno there must be something different out there

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sadly the yellow leather perished
it got so black and just looked melted. i removed it last night and it gushed in the tank! gross! the worst odor ever imaginable came out
i hope it didnt foul my tank, but i have been sick and i couldnt do a emergency water change. today i feel a bit better and im going to do a water change in a lil bit
ew dang that thing stunk
got credit back this morning, i think ill get a nice hardy non smelly zoa lol

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
sorry about your leather pastina and also sorry you haven't been feeling well. Ive also had a bad morning my clam is dieing.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ohhh poor clam :(
ive never had a clam before. can he be saved?
:cry:

that leather is stinking up my garage. i have it double bagged but the odor is coming thru yuck! wednesday is garbage day, i got a long way to go with that odor lol
well i bought a few fish with the credit from the leather. i really was gonna go fishless but the tank is over run with pods and its kinda creeping me out, not only pods but some other ugly stuff. so maybe a fish will pick some off and i can enjoy looking in the tank instead of getting the willies lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts