The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Reefer
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question to those with experience with the Kole Tang, or Tangs in general. I have noticed an odd behavior with my Kole Tang. When the lights go off for the night all the other fish retreat to their normal sleeping spots, however the Tang seems to still cruise around the tank albeit somewhat slowly and near bottom. I have not seen if this happens all night, but certainly a couple of hours after lights out and at least an hour or two before the lights come back on.

·
originally original
975 Posts
Mine also, it's very aware 24/7. If I look in it's cave late at night, it is still pacing. Mine is fat and happy so I doubt it's any trouble.

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Totally normal, especially with a tang, they are very active fish so they will move around for a while after the lights or out and wake up earlier, my tomato clown does this too and hes a fat little guy, totally healthy

·
Reefer
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a folllow up question in regards to feeding. I know Tangs graze constantly and the algea is a low nutrient food source so they need to consume a lot. My Kole will pick around the LR alot and will go though a 2X3 in clip of Ocean Nutrituion Alega in a couple of hours. Since he will still to touch any other prepared food introduced in the tank, should I at all limit the amount of clips per day he eats ? I mix Green, Brown and Red. The green makes a mess, as after a clip of that his poops have a fair amount of undigested green algea in it, oh and by the way I have never seen a fish poop as much as he does. He is getting quite fat and is very still very active all the time. I don't think it is possilbe to overfeed a tang, but I want to make sure.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Keep on feedin' and try him on romaine lettuce, kale, spinach, green beans, peas, anything in the green veggie line. Just make sure they are rinsed well. A tip I got from the guys at Sea World is to freeze the lettuce type foods to break down the fibers so that it can be eaten easier and digested better. I feed my Sailfin and Lemonpeel a stalk of romaine every couple days and store bought Nori about once a week or so. What doesn't get eaten by them is taken by the starfish and snails and even some of my other fish eat at it.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Keep on feedin' and try him on romaine lettuce, kale, spinach, green beans, peas, anything in the green veggie line...
Better to stay with marine-sourced vegetable matter* due to digestibility, nutrient content, and transit time in the gut. I say this, yet the Spotte text list a number (10 different ones) of terrestrial leafy green vegetables and their Energy content (kcal/100gm) and approximate composition (as gm/100 gm) sourced from Albritton, E. C., 1954 (ed.), Standard Values in Nutrition and Metabolism;Saunders, Philadelphia. 380 pp. I'd lay off the peas; peas contain some oligosaccharides that marine fishes are unlikely to have the enzymes to break down (and you wouldn't want your tangs to have fishy gas, would you?)

Ideally, we would feed surgeonfishes from marine seaweeds only, but terrestrial-sourced veggies supplemented with a HUFA-enhanced product like Selcon should do the trick in a system that has regular water changes (to supplement and replenish trace elements).

BTW Kole tangs are great Cyanobacteria consumers, my fave tangs. I keep a Tomini in the display system currently; it's getting to be an old fish.

*Spotte, Stephen. Captive Seawater Fishes: Science and Technology, "Nutrition," pp 357-376.

·
originally original
975 Posts
Since he will still to touch any other prepared food introduced in the tank, should I at all limit the amount of clips per day he eats ?
Absolutely, though not for the fish, for your tank. :)

My three herbivores share a 2"x3" sheet every three days. They would like more, but they remain in good health, so no need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts