The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've had this clown goby in my tank for about a month now in my 20 gallon long reef. He's been doing great and sitting on my hammer coral almost all day. However today I've caught him scratching his side against the mouth of one of the hammers heads. Could it be ich? All other fish are fine. Parameters ph 8.3, ammonia 0, nitrate 0-5, nitrite 0, temp 77. Anyone have any ideas? I can have a quarentine ready. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I've had mine rub on lots of coral, just trying to get into a comfy spot. Even caught him biting a few, like he was frustrated at the coral for not being in just the right position. :p Ich is always a possibility, so I'd keep an eye out for any spots, but until you see that I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright thanks. Reason I'm concerned is because I've had blue tanga in other tanks before and I know what scratching because if ich looks like. The clown goby is scratching in a similar way. I'll keep watching for spots though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I normally quarantine all my specimens but this guy I had to put straight in the display tank. I've read they can be aggressive towards each other unless their in large tanks. May just want to keep that in mind.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Must be a different species of clown Gobys...
The little yellow ones i am thinking of getting only get to 1 1/2" max....they live in your acro colonies.....clams....etc....
I have a 210g tank so , ok there..

·
Registered
606 Posts
Must be a different species of clown Gobys...
The little yellow ones i am thinking of getting only get to 1 1/2" max....they live in your acro colonies.....clams....etc....
I have a 210g tank so , ok there..
They are cool little fish but can nip and spawn on sps causing damage.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright so I noticed a few white spots on my goby. There not easy to see but he's got maybe a dozen all over him. I guess it looks like I'll try and catch him out and get him in a quarantine tank

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Alright so I noticed a few white spots on my goby. There not easy to see but he's got maybe a dozen all over him. I guess it looks like I'll try and catch him out and get him in a quarantine tank
Catching him will just stress him out more. Unless you plan on QTing all your fish and letting the tank sit empty for 8 weeks or so, treating him alone would be pointless because the ich is already in there. In low stress conditions he should be able to fight off the ich himself. There's a wonderful ich sticky here about the different stages of ich and certain treatments - http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f184/ich-lets-talk-methods-188084.html

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I believe it's already spread to my reinford goby now. He's scratching but I don't see any white spots on him yet. I'll check out the link. Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't really get any close up pictures where the spots are clearly seen cause he won't hold still but I've had a fish with ick before. I'm pretty sure he's got it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts