The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yay - ok - whoever believes that tank raised percs won't go into anemones......my pair proved you wrong!

It took 4 weeks and today - for the first time both Perculas have found a home in my LTA which finally settled in one corner of the tank.

Ahhhhhhhh today we have tank bliss.

:beer: Just wanted to share the excitement!

·
lazy reefer
919 Posts
all it took for my tank raised perk was a tomato in the anemones to make him jellous

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thats great!!

Then there is still hope for my percs...yeah!!!!!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I emptied my tomato clown from the bag after acclimation and it dove right into my BTA and been there since! Love it when it works! :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
It took my perc about a week to catch on to the fact that the LTA I put in with him was a friend. Now the perc follows the anemone around like a little puppy dog. I hope the ananome finds a place to settle some time.

That visual of a clown and anemone was the reason I started in this hobby in the first place. It's pretty cool when it happens

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes - My LTA is moving constantly as well - I can't figure it out - he keeps rolling to the back of the tank where there is very little light - then comes int he front again for a day or two before moving back. I wish there was a way to get them to stay in one spot. One of the LFS people said to try burying the base in the sand....but the anemone just freaked out - curled up and blew himself out and into a new spot...aak. My clowns are following mine around now too!

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
ylmaya, you could try a small piece of PVC pipe - about a 3" piece of 1" or 1 1/2" pipe - many DIY reefers have some of this lying around. Place the column of the anemone in the pipe, with its pedal disc on the glass (clear the sand away, LTA like a smooth flat surface) and see if it stays put. I've had good results with this. BTA prefer a rocky foothold, they will move til they find a crevasse in a rock, but LTA seem to stay put in a PVC "collar". Might not be the prettiest solution but at some point you might be able to slide the PVC off, once it plants its foot down.

And any captive propped clown will take to the right host - although I cannot stress enough that they do not NEED one - they will take to one. I often suggest a clean terra cotta flowerpot on its side - I had a friend whose pair laid eggs every week in the flower pot. He'd swap out the flower pots just before the eggs hatched and managed to rear some babies this way.

HTH

Jenn

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jenn - It sounds like an easy solution but here is my question - the LTA's foot is about 3 inches across - how do I get this into 1 1/2" pipe? Should I just clear all 5 inches of my dsb away in one area and then put the anemone into the hole? What if I put it on a flat disc of acrylic? Do you think that will work????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts