The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Found an amazing Yasha goby and djibouti pistol shrimp the other day, though they were not paired. My tank is only just over 25 US Gal so figured that with the yasha's exploring it would come across the pistol shrimp. As i put them both in at the same time the clownfish pair i have gave the yasha a couple of nips and now spends his time at the top of the tank near my skimmer.
It seems every time the yasha tries to explore he either gets put of by the clownfish (though they dont seem to bite anymore) or the curious cleaner shrimp i have.

I'm going to try and restructure the rock a little bit so it can find its way from the skimmer in hiding, though is this natural?
One rash decision i had was trying to re-bag him and use a tube to where the pistol resides..early days but if he stays at the top any thoughts?

To finish off, he was bought without a dorsal fin, do these grow back?

Current inhabitants:
2 ocelarris clownfish,
2 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp,
4 turbo snails (that have spawned)
NEW djibouti pistol
NEW Yasha goby (in question). Both acclimated over 2 hours

Thanks in advance, this is always the first place i go for q's!

·
Premium Member
18,834 Posts
This is behavior you can expect. Clownfish are territorial and some species can be downright nasty. The tank is pretty small so the clowns are going to claim most of it as their own. Once he pairs with the shrimp things will likely get better.

In my experience the best thing for you to do is to capture the clowns and put them in some type of in-tank container for a few days until the Yasha can find the shrimp. They have natural means to find each other so if you can get him to calm down then it's going to happen.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both

I bought quite a nice piece of branching rock and that created enough cover for the goby to get down, though it was about 30cm (with rock between) away from the pistol! I guess it'll take time.
I found the goby sleeping behind the skimmer again and he hasnt yet ventured away from the branching rock.

What do you suggest to contain the clownfish? something like a in-tank breeder?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.