The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10 days ago, I purchased my first corals. One was a xenia. It was pulsing when it was in the store and when I put it into my drip acclimation bucket, the minute the water started dripping into the water, it started pulsing in the bucket in the dark. When it was put into our tank, after a few minutes it started pulsing and did for the rest of that evening. After the lights went out, it closed up as expected, but that was the last time it pulsed. The next morning when the light came on, it stood up and opened good, but no pulsing. It has been over a week and it still looks full and healthy and stays open but it NEVER pulses, so I am worried. It was in an area of moderate flow. Just enough to look like it was blowing in the breeze. I read that stopping the water flow sometimes caused them to pulse, so I turned off my wave maker and redirected the water from my filter to stop the flow around it. I left it off for about 15 minutes and it never pulsed. Then, I tried moving it to a new location with less current because I thought it might have been getting too much flow. That was 3 days ago and still nothing. I am wondering if it is not getting enough light or if I need to give it some kind of food? Any recommendations?

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now that I am looking at these photos that I took a few days ago. The stalks look taller now, but they also look thinner? The taller looks makes them appear to be growing, but since the stalks are also thinner, are they stretching up for more light, starving, I don't know???

·
Registered
654 Posts
Our xenia in a shady/low spots seem to stretch like that; the ones at the top of the tank are more plump. But even those will stretch out some days, for no apparent reason.
Sometimes after we do a water change they all pulse more. Yours don't look like they're starving :)
hth

·
xenia reef
642 Posts
i would try moving them, you would be amazed how much they can open and pulse just by moving them to a spot where they feel comfortable

·
Registered
23 Posts
put them higher up in the tank bec they love more light. and ive found that all xenia pulse more or at all when your iodine levels are in check

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
What's your PH?...I've found they pulse less when PH is under 8.0...lots of folks will claim they need "dirty" water...I don't find that to be true however...I have a huge forest of xenia in a tank with very low nutrients (Phos measures at .01 and nitrate at .4)...otherwise I've not seen a lot of difference in tanks with high flow, low flow, higher light or lower light...they may look a bit different in different tanks, but in a healthy, stable tank they seem to always do well for me...the only time I have trouble is in tanks where I have low PH (typically all the nanos I ever kept seem to run lower PH's than my bigger tanks).

·
Super Swole Fish
446 Posts
xenia are very picky when it come to pulsing you have to put them in the right spot for them to be happy i bought some from vividaquariums and when i got them they pulsed and as soon as they hit my tank they stopped so i moves them in less direct flow and kind of on an incline and boom they pulsed...good luck with yours

1 - 7 of 7 Posts