The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep a small frag of Xenia in my Nanocube to warn me of high nutrient water or other problems.

When the nutrients are low (better for my SPS), the Xenia stays small and will not open a lot. When the water is high nutrient, it fully extends and begins to grow.

Its my version of a "Canary in the coal mine"; when my water gets dirty the Xenia will grow and expand, indicating a need for a GFO changing.

To all who do not know, miners used to keep canaries in cages in the mines. When there was poisonous gas, the canary would become silent and the miners would know to get the **** out of there before they get poisoned.

Does anyone else do this?

·
Banned
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This makes sense to a point. I guess I kind off look at my xenia in this way. It can be a "indicator" coral. I don't have any SPS but it is somewhat usefull for this purpose. I prefer it over macro algae for sure.
Im not sure it provides any of the benefits that macro algae do, but then again I don't know any of the benefits!

My only SPS is a few mdntipora frags, one that has grown from quarter sized to palm sized.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Im not sure it provides any of the benefits that macro algae do, but then again I don't know any of the benefits!

My only SPS is a few mdntipora frags, one that has grown from quarter sized to palm sized.
So.. like you could use some macroalgae for the same purpose.

Just trying to clarify what I meant earlier.

·
Banned
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still don't understand-

I have chaeto in my sump, and it always looks the same. Healthy and green, but with no growth. I don't understand how you can use this to see the finer changes in ones water- to me it does not seem to be an indicator of anything!

Perhaps Xenia is more sensitive? Or maybe my sump is just funky; it does have pretty cheap freshwater lighting!

·
Banned
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand! I was just suggesting that Xenia responds to the higher nutrients faster than Macro Algeas, and it's also easier to see (in the DT).

Both work, but in my expierience (or lack of expierience in studying the growth of the Macro on a daily basis), Xenia is easier and I just wanted to share my opinion :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts