The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered frags.org and bought some corals from there... Very first shipment was some xenia (initial shipping cost was $35 but then AFTER they had shipped it they charged me another $18 saying they didn't realize how much it would cost to ship)... Got the xenia and the bag was popped open and xenia is probably a total loss (I've got them floating in the tank "just in case")...

SIGH

Babs

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should state that it was not frags.org that did it but a seller using their site... Frags.org is like eBay...

I didn't want the person to lose money sending me the xenia but I did tell them that I wish they had mentioned it to me before they shipped because I probably would have rethought buying them (and they probably thought that as well)... Personally, if I were selling the coral I would have shipped it and not said a word thinking it was a lesson learned on my part - she would have came out even and actually not lost any money... I had already decided not to buy from her again...

Babs

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Got the xenia and the bag was popped open and xenia is probably a total loss (I've got them floating in the tank "just in case")...
people charge for xenia ? don't they grow like weeds ?
you should be able to get some xenia frags for free from a fellow local reefer.

sorry to hear about the bad experience though.

J.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I agree, charging you extra after a price had already been agreed upon is bad business and probably illegal. I would definitley complain about that and try to get my money back. BTW, there is no possible way that she did not "realize" how much it would cost to ship the frag unless this was her very first ever sale.

I would have my credit card or paypal freeze the payment on the second shipping - I'm pretty sure it's a fraudelent charge if they do not have your consent or informed you beforehand.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
BTW, I would never encourage anyone to buy any frags or reef related stuff on ebay - the prices are usually not that much better than major retailers and I've just heard too many stories of people getting ripped off. In most cases, there is just not much you can do, and ebay has little interest in helping you resolve the issue.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
BTW, I would never encourage anyone to buy any frags or reef related stuff on ebay - the prices are usually not that much better than major retailers and I've just heard too many stories of people getting ripped off. In most cases, there is just not much you can do, and ebay has little interest in helping you resolve the issue.
I agree with this 100% with one exception.

If the seller is local to you it usually works out to be a great deal provided they allow local pickup. If they refuse to allow local pickup, Keep looking.

I have purchased snails and crabs plus a few odball items from an ebay seller local to me. He let's me come to his home, Come inside and see his tanks and all. And there is no shipping charges or extra charge by picking the item(s) up.

There are a few reputable dealers that sell on ebay as well. My friend at riptidesreef.com sells on ebay sometimes. Always a good deal from him.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know any local reefers, wish I did! My LFS never seems to have any and when they do it's a brownish color... I wanted pink xenia... Was $10 for each so I bought 2... Lesson learned on my part...

I do buy things from eBay and I know to watch for the persons percentile... I've only been burned once via eBay... But this isn't eBay and thought I would give it a try...

Babs

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Babs, I can't believe there isn't anyone near you We're all over the place!). Which state are you in? If nothing else, come to the TRT BBQ next year and I will give you a pound of pulsing xenia. :thumbup:
There are many safe and good sites to order frags from. Personally, I have had great results with scientificcorals and ultimatefrags. Great customer service, great shipping methods, and you usually get something free thrown in or a size bigger than you paid for.

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
people charge for xenia ? don't they grow like weeds ?
you should be able to get some xenia frags for free from a fellow local reefer.

sorry to hear about the bad experience though.

J.

:agree: yea you paid for xenia...man people literally throw them in the trash around here.:agree:

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I did the same thing...thats what we do when we fisrt start!

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
yea when coral was 1st brought to this area 3 years ago 1 head of xenia costed 75$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now that i can grow it i cant give it away,,,talk about mad !!!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Babs, you just missed an opportunity to eat AYCE pork BBQ and get some free frags... I have personally given away TONS of Xenia. You have folks all around you. I am about 5 hrs away (Walnut Grove, SC) but I'd be glad to turn up some Xenia spp. for you if you cannot find it closer. These octocorls ship quite badly, though, most aquarists need to carry Xeniid spp in an open container when transporting it from site to site. One of the biggest problems is that they tend to slime quite a bit when disturbed/transported, and this reducese the ability of the specimen to exchange O2 with the water, as well as providing a food to bacteria on the coral and in the water that with reduce the mount of free O2 in the water. Specimens shipped in water usully end up shriviling away to nothing and dieing as a result. If you want some, keep this in mind when transporting from point to point.

Sorry for your loss, HTH

·
Registered
842 Posts
It really depends on what type of xenia you are talking about. Sure..elongeta...is very common. The red sea pink pom pom...less popular....the white fiji...not so either. I have the white xenia ...and it is beautiful....if you ever come to ATL...let me know.
Xenia is nortorius for not shipping well so it does not surprise me that it did not do well.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I live near Nashville TN, anyone from near here?
:)

I'm looking at these:
http://www.frags.org/memberfragdetails.php?fid=9179
is that a good price? Maybe I'll ask you all before I order from now on so I don't get screwed!

Babs
Babs - I'm telling you, walk away from that site and don't look back. If you want some kickin zoanthids, check out this site, you will hear nothing but good stuff about this site from here and reef central. http://www.ultimatefrags.com/coral.php?cat=Zoanthid

Nashville, huh? That's really not that far away from Atlanta and I think there are several members of TRT near nashville who might be willing to give you some freebies. There are also some excellent stores in the ATL to check out too. As a general rule, don't pay for something that is common - most people would be more than happy to give you a frag for free (I'm serious about that, the generosity of TRT members has always amazed me). I would only pay for something rare or exotic. Just mark May 17, 2008 down on your calender and make the trip to South Carolina to TDWyatt's BBQ next year and we will load you up with all kinds of frags. :thumbup:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would only pay for something rare or exotic. Just mark May 17, 2008 down on your calender and make the trip to South Carolina to TDWyatt's BBQ next year and we will load you up with all kinds of frags. :thumbup:
You'd fall over if I did show up... But I've got it on my calendar, will see if I can get off of work for that weekend...
:)

Babs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts