The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my 33 gallon tank i added xenias and a kenyan tree they have been there for a month now together the kenyan tree is all happy always opens up big and hearty and so do my other mushroom and star polyps and zoos as well. The problem is with the xenia's they seem to be skinny shriveled and closed up they have been like that since the addition into my tank but they have moved around the rock i placed them in and i have tried moving them around in the tank as well to see if its just water flow or lighting but still cant seem to make them happy. The water param are great they are just unhappy. Could it be chemical warfare even though they are not touching or even close to each other? Should i remove one or the other?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have both xenias and kenyans, it took we several weeks of moving them around the tank before I found spots where they would not ''chemically battle'' each other. When one would thrive, the other would shrivel, and vice versa. Now, both are doing well and have begun to propagate!!

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Here's a good read on Xenia.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-02/ac/feature/index.php

When it comes to keeping Xenia, there is an unknown X factor as to whether it will thrive or die. I wouldn't assume something is wrong in the tank just because some Xenia is not doing well. Some tanks won't grow it and others can't get rid of it.

·
Administrator
18,789 Posts
Here's a good read on Xenia.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-02/ac/feature/index.php

When it comes to keeping Xenia, there is an unknown X factor as to whether it will thrive or die. I wouldn't assume something is wrong in the tank just because some Xenia is not doing well. Some tanks won't grow it and others can't get rid of it.
I haven't read the article yet, but I have to just second what jadinop wrote. I have a BioCube where the stuff grows like mad and I have to harvest it, but in my 50 gallon the one little bit I have hasn't grown at all and just stays put. I've taken my harvested xenia from the BioCube and only had it thrive in one other tank. Odd stuff...

·
originally original
975 Posts
I started running carbon and my xenia took off like crazy. From my experience, it appears to be very sensitive to the allelopathic compounds of other corals.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I had no problem keeping Xenia in the midst of all these corals.

Carbon alone is not the answer for everyone. Neither is dosing iodine or the dirty tank myth. If the answer was that simple this topic wouldn't come up time and time again. There's still the unknown X factor that hasn't been figured out yet.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes, I'd agree to that. Some kenya tree corals may produce chemicals that may be harmful to the reef but poses no threat to hard corals, it will only affect them. I've had difficulties raising xenias in my tank too, even without a kenya tree at that time still, by placing active carbon as media didn't at all work. True, there maybe an "X-factor" to this, all are still based on theories, or coinsidences.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts