The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old Man in the Sea
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I was out and came home to a mini disaster. A pump I had with a SCWD (wavemaker) attached to the backwall of my tank had come loose from the tank wall, was resting on a rock and one nozzle was just a couple inches away from my Xenia and my green star polyps. They were getting blasted with flow. Up until this point these were two of the nicest, hardiest corals in the tank. Now, 24 hours later, the Xenia still looks like this and the green star polyps are still retracted. Is it too late? Was it too much? Or will they eventually recover?

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
i wouldnt worry at all about the gsp as they completely retract inside the mat. they can stay closed for several days if aggitated. they will open back up. the xenia looks ok in the pic, just give it a few days to recover. i cant kill my xenia or gsp in my tank i regularly throw/give it away because i cant keep up with it

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
i wouldnt worry at all about the gsp as they completely retract inside the mat. they can stay closed for several days if aggitated. they will open back up. the xenia looks ok in the pic, just give it a few days to recover. i cant kill my xenia or gsp in my tank i regularly throw/give it away because i cant keep up with it
throw/give some of it this way! that is a headache i would like to have!

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Gsp and xenia in my tank are very hardy, but it seems like they go off to some sort of soft coral vacation everyone in a while. Mine (plus the leather) can get all mopey for days, then open back up like nothing . It looks like yours a just doing yoga or something I have had one frag of zenia die while the other is becoming my wallscape. The one that died did not close up, it became all skinny, pale, weak. The gsps can look like just a purple mat for days (they fear the razor blade) but it is almost always good

Best advice my fish guy every told me: "stop freaking out.Trust me you will KNOW when something bad is happening.

·
reef addict
350 Posts
green star polyps are very hardy, i scrub algae off the mat all the time and within a day or two its back out. I wouldnt worry it'll be back out before you know it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.