The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've looked at other threads but I'm not sure what to do about my Xenia which has spread to plague proportions. I'll let the photo do the talking.

It's a wonderful coral, but is taking far too much room. I've cut it back in the past and sold it to the pet shop but at the moment they're not interested unless it's attached to rock or shells. Sounds fine, but I'd rather get rid of most of it at the same time.

It's been growing over my other corals and made the top right leather coral very unhappy because it was being outcompeted for space. I'd like to get rid of most of the Xenia (Leave a little on an isolated rock) so I can have room for other corals (I've been taking an interest in Zoanthids!). The bubble tip anemone is regularly in contact with the Xenia but the sting doesn't seem to affect it.

I don't want to kill it. Advice and suggestions are very welcome, and sorry if this is a stupid question.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
I recently read where someone recommended moving any xenia that you don't want in your DT to your sump if you are running one - they are good filter feeders so help to keep your sump clean of anything that gets past your skimmer (assuming you are running a sump). I think I might incorporate this in to my next tank because I like my xenia, but it is about to the point where it is going to start going past the rock it is on. I currently have that rock sitting by itself off to one side so if it decides to grow off the rock it goes to the sand / glass instead of more rock.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a sump with adequate space but there isn't any light in there. I always thought Xenia is photosynthetic. If it were safe for it in the long-run then I'd give it a try.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
also note that if you ran a clamp light on the sump and run it on the opposite schedule from your DT it might help stabilize your pH, because when your lights are on your pH will increase, then when your lights turn off your pH decreases. If you run a light on the sump on the opposite schedule it would probably help keep the pH more constant since part of the tank would be lit at all times. I don't know how big of an impact this would make, but more stability for anything in this hobby I would think is a good thing =)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts