The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm looking for a skimmer for my new 55G with 20G long sump.

My free seaclone got "broken" (garbage) when I moved.

Basically I've got around $100 or less to spend so that sorta limits me. Just hoping someone has something decent they'd like to part with.

HOB would be great, otherwise a fairly small footprint. I was looking at a via-aqua on reeffrontiers, but it has a huge footprint (8x13) and won't fit in my sump.

I was hoping for a superskimmer or remora, but I'd like to hear whats out there in the area.

·
11,345 Posts
Check this one out......it will skim the heck out of a 55 and has a fairly small footprint. Ive got two of them both in decent shape and you can have one of them for $25 + shipping.......you will have to buy a pump to run it but i think it will meet your budget and needs just fine....can go in or out of sump.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=RS1111

lemmeno

anyone else interested that price goes for either of them........

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
hrmm...might try one of the DIY methods and put the cash into a decent needlewheel pump. Skimmers are VERY basic in concept...and once you have a needlewheel pump....all you need is a reaction chamber to accomodate it with suitable inputs and outpus. There's a number of DIY skimmer threads on RC. good luck.

·
11,345 Posts
What are you saying??? That my berlins arent the BEST skimmers out there???

Im offended. :p :)

Seriously though, if youre not into the DIY those skimmers will work fine for a 55. When i didnt know any better I had no problem keeping the nitrates at zero with it in a overstocked and overfed 80. Granted there was good flow and healthy rock.....but just the same.......if your budget is $100 or less your not going to do any better unless you make one or somebody gives one away...which is what i was trying to do..........The pump alone is well over a hundred bucks for a good skimmer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the DIY approach most of the time, but glass/plexi have never been good to me. My sump is total shite but hey it cost $60 in materials.

I think I would like to build one some day, but right now I'm concerned about not having a skimmer at all on the tank and would like one asap. I'm going through a cyano outbreak as well and I'm sure DOC's aren't helping much.

I'll probably take you up on the berlin, just to get something going.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fly Guy said:
Make sure that footprint fits..........unless you have room NEXT to the sump and you could put the pump IN and the skimmer out............
So, you're not heading over the hill this week are you? :)

How much you think it'll cost to wing that thing over to eugene via brown truck?

Footprint looks great. This is what I'm working with here:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/spipedong/IMG_4400.jpg

The skimmer can fit in the 12x12" center section or off to the right and I can plumb it in. That canister filter will be leaving or moving. The righthand side of the sump is intended to be a fuge so I'd rather not have the skimmer plumbed there it it is out of sump.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sweet.

tashier: does it come with the pump, also how much more than $100, and how soon are you selling?

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you need a real cheap skimmer, I have a used Amiracle venturi skimmer. It has a very small footprint, and is priced right. $40.00, I don't have a pump. I'm not sure what size tank it's rated for? But it was running on a 150 gal reef setup, so I"m sure it would work on your 55.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts