The Reef Tank banner

WTB dual 250 watt halide setup

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tat2d 
#1 ·
Title sums it up. I'm in Eugene, but I'll be in Portland tonight to pick up a tank. Let me know.
Thanks,
Bobby

#3 · (Edited)
Went to get an 80 gal in portland tonight. I asked the guy selling it before I went up there if there were any scratches in the tank, He said "no" like he meant it. Got there, and the front had deep scratches, and something that looked like a rock chip in a car windshield and the back was painted funky, so I couldn't tell if it was trashed. I had a backup plan. Already arranged to look at another tank (a 90 gal) in case the 80 ended up being like every other tank I've already gone to look at. So I went to check it out. The sides and front were badly scratched, but the back was pristine, just covered in coraline. I figured I could scrape it, and let the sides and back get covered back up with coraline when I got it running again and you wouldn't have been able to see the scratches. But I got it home and found out that coraline, left unchecked, will put pitts in glass:( Anybody need a 90 gal. sump????? $400 bucks later, I have a stand and some REALLY nice 48 inch USA-Orbit PC fixtures I was planning on selling anyway(doing halides). I'm about to give up. Can't seem to catch a break. The wife's gonna skin me for this one:doh:
Oh, well. Guess I'd better go price those lights so I can get them posted in the classifieds. they are only six months old, so I'm pretty sure I can at least get most of what I paid for the tank and stand.....ummm.. I mean 90 gal. sump and stand.
I'm TIRED. Maybe I'll post them tomorrow.
Peace,
Bobby

#5 · (Edited)
Hey Aaron.
Thanks, man. I'm just at a loss here. I keep missing out on the nice ones, and driving all over the state to look at junk. Not expecting perfection, but a dozen deep scratches in the front of the tank isn't gonna work for me. The tank I got is really scratched up on three sides, and I still picked it up.So I don't think I'm being too picky . If anyone wants a good deal on 48 inch PC fixtures, a HUGE sump tank, Or a wood stand for a 90, they'll be over in the classifieds.

The 18 I got from you cycled in a week and a half, and has some softies, all the cleanup crew, a false perc, and a small wrasse living in it. It's doing great. Pulsing xenia opened fully in 5 min. Guess I should be glad something's going right at this point.
Anyway, Off to the classifieds. Oh, wait I'm already here.
Peace.
Bobby

Update:I buffed and scrubbed on that tank most of the day, and the front is nearly spotless. the back is still nasty to look at, but you won't see most of that. Sides aren't too bad, just a few heavy scratches. The guy used 80 grit to try to get the coraline off the inside. It'll look great when it's set up, and I'll upgrade next year. Gotta start somewhere, Right? Going to pick up my 400 watt halides Saturday. Still gotta find overflow box, sump, and skimmer.
I'll get it running someday. Oh yeah, gotta put a bathroom fan in the wall behind the canopy to deal with the heat from the 400s.
Later.
Bobby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.