The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Check out this light setup for a 10 gal tank.

http://www.hellolights.com./201xcoaqpcho.html

Many people are using this. I saw one at the Nano SIG meeting and we had a short discussion about these. They really seem to do the job and would cover all your lighting needs now and in the future. They are a relatively good deal and the fans are quiet. Purchase the mounting legs under the accessories to get the unit a little off the tank.

This lighting should allow you to keep all but the most demanding light loving corals. And yes even some sps will work under this light. Spend the money now and you won't have to upgrade your lighting in the future.

I know this wasn't exactly what you asked for but I thought it might help a little,

Charles

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That works just as well! The main problem was that the single light units I found were only 15 watts.... and I wanted to put a 10k and Actinic side by side so needed two strips. At 96w this unit and a 50/50 bulb will do the trick! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
latazyo

Your links will cost approx $110 depending on the bulbs choosen. It is a retro kit and not a fixture, no fans and only 72 watts.

My link was to a complete fixture -- fans, bulbs and all -- on sale for approx $102. It's also a full 96 watts. Just a little bit more bang for your buck and the fixture is a really nice looking unit for a Nano.

·
Registered
384 Posts
well I thought perhaps he wants 2 strip lights for some reason....the set up I described is the exact thing I use on my 10g, it works good, thought I'd share the wealth, but you are sharing more than I

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Well I have 56watts over my Minibow 7 gal.

I know a few people who have MH over their 10 gal. Usually the 150 HQI w/ supplimental actinics to bring the total wattage up around 200

There are alot of people who use the 96 watt over their 10 gal.

IMHO if your using PC's -- what ever you can pack over the tank will not be too much. I also don't really agree w/ MH over a Nano but many people do it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
just yesterday i saw a power compact hood on ebay that was closing in a few hours. the current bid was around 30 bucks! no reserve. and there were more also-go check it out! i went to petsupplies-fish-then did a search for powercompact.

the hood that C-K is talking about is an awesome setup!

HTH

BRandon & Kelly

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered the hood c_k mentioned... I want to have enough light for my first corals... I'm planning to join up at the next ARC meeting and hopefully get a frag or two if anybody's selling!

·
Registered
384 Posts
there is no such things as too much wattage, it is not really wattage that guages what you can keep in your tank, but intensity

if you wish to keep clams on the bed of your 10g, then PC lighting, no matter what the wattage, may not be intense enough to penetrate the water depth, although, I am a believer that clams and sps corals can be kept under pC just fine when placed towards the top fof the 10g, this is straight from personal experiences with both clams and sps corals

and the full hood/light suggestion is a way better suggestion that mine if you're looking for convenience, if you like a little DIY projkect, then go with mine, otherwise, ck's (which I didn't know about) is a great suggestions

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
latazyo said:
I am a believer that clams and sps corals can be kept under pC just fine when placed towards the top fof the 10g, this is straight from personal experiences with both clams and sps corals
I basically have to agree with that statement. Although no clams --- I do have sps under my 56 watts of PC's. They are up high in the tank, have retained their color and have shown noticed growth. They are also in the process of attaching to the LR and usually once fully attached they will start to grow much faster.

QuAcKeR --- There is usually somebody willing to sell frags at all ARC meetings. At the general meeting it is best to make arrangments approx 1 week ahead of time. As the meeting draws near you'll see all the posts concerning frags --- just jump right in.

We are planning on haveing another Nano SIG meeting should be Saturday Sept 27 at 12:00 noon, location and planned activity to be determined. BUT we do try and also plan a field trip to a LFS sponsor so we can group purchase corals and frag them up so everyone gets a piece. This worked really well at our first meeting. Most people left w/ 4 frags for $15.00

Please e-mail or PM me the following info So I can get you on the Nano SIG e-mail list:

FIrst Name
Last Name
valid e-mail address
TRT alias

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Here's a pic of the light setup Charles mentioned. The color is sweet, it's a nice balance of white and blue and is bright. There is nothing in the tank so a pic of the lights on wouldn't show much. Be sure to get the optional acrylic legs. They make for a nice installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
SO does that pic mean Sept. 27th, 12:00 nooon at Ricks house ???

Eight weeks should give you plenty of time.

:idea:

I'll bring the box of baggies.

:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts