The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me know what you have. Ideally want the one with the drain in the back, but not 100% necessary.

Thanks!

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Please don't buy one.. I have one.. It works.. But it is horribly inefficient at skimming. Get some other HOB skimmer. Preferably one with a needle wheel. I have not only upgraded the pump on mine but i've modified the internals. Find FutureDoc and ask him about decent HOB skimmers. I haven't looked in a while at what's out there, but I guarantee he has.

They are a great company with a great looking skimmer. It works and it does skim just fine. But nowhere near what you can get from other skimmers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just when I think I've got it all figured out.... Ugh... Back to the drawing board. I'll keep this in mind. I was thinking: AWESOME: minimal parts, less stuff to break, sounds like a great deal. And there have been a lot of good reviews on them. I'll check with FuturDoc. Thanks!

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
You can see here the size pump I need just to get it to skim better. It's at the bottom of that white hose in the middle.

And here I had to seal the inside because air is sucked down past the skimmate to get to the injector. Which reduces the overall skim. So after sealing the inside I had to get air to the injector another way. Which is what these are.

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Just when I think I've got it all figured out.... Ugh... Back to the drawing board. I'll keep this in mind. I was thinking: AWESOME: minimal parts, less stuff to break, sounds like a great deal. And there have been a lot of good reviews on them. I'll check with FuturDoc. Thanks!
Sorry about the dissapointment. But luckily FutureDoc is very knowledgeable and I think he's online fairly regularly.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
House call ;)

I am not a big fan of the Remora. I owned the Remora Pro and was woefully disappointed. The Remora was the reason why I decided to learn as much as I could about skimmers so I could figure out what works and what doesn't... and what is overpriced.

With all skimmers, their effectiveness is dependent on two major variables. Water processing rate (how much water they move through the skimmer) and the air-draw (how much air is pushed into the skimmer. Water is the filterable substance and air is the filter media. With water processing, the amount of water pushed through the skimmer determines the size tank the skimmer can handle. Pressure-based skimmers (like the Remora, downdrafts, or Becketts) can move a lot of water in a short time. This allows the very large capacities. However, there is a limit to how effective speed equates to effectiveness and there is a diminishing rate of return. Processing a tank 3X is much better than 0.5X per hour but 10X is not much better than 7.5X per hour. I tend to recommend about 2X per hours as being a minimum for many moderately sized and stocked tanks at home. Larger tanks might need different abilities. Air draw determines how effective a skimmer will be per unit of water processed. Thus the more air it pull, the better (more filter media so to speak). So, in the end, we want a processing rate that will cover the size of a system (2-4X is a common window) and then as much air air as we can afford. Pulling 1000lph of air is irreverent if it is pulling 50gph of water for a 120g system... and pulling 200lph is pathetic if the water processing rate is 350gph. After air/water, the skimmer body's physical size/specs/design them determines if the skimmer can handle the pump it is using.

Ok, to the Remora specifically: How much air does it pull? ;) The water processing rate will be close to the pump GPH rating, so how much air can it pull?

Well, we really do not know. (although Brassaxe might have a measurable remora now) We can't know. The remora is an open system and the spray induction is a BIG ?. I can tell you that air is lost in the induction area... and that is like pumping a bit of gasoline onto the road... lost efficiency. Next, the design of the neck/cup/body is often inconstant. For some, it is tight and does not allow more air to escape... mine had sizable gaps and would allow air to escape... more lost efficiency. We want air to escape through the neck, otherwise it is not attaching to organics and being pushed out. Finally, the Remora's neck is WOEFULLY small. Maybe an inch in diameter. Compare this to the 2 or 3 inch necks of various needle wheels around the same price-point. I said that the physical design of the skimmer body has some importance and the size of the neck is one of those design criteria. The more air you pull, the wider the neck must be or otherwise you turn the skimmer into a foam-rifle. Too much air-pressure build up and it is a fish-poo foamer. If the skimmer does not get a lot of air into the body, then it must have a smaller neck. Smaller necks allow weaker skimmer to push foam into a cup kinda like putting you finger over a weak pressure water hose.

Now, lets consider the energy use. Remora use a lot of energy. They are pressure based so to do anything, they must force a lot of water into the body to make bubbles. That is why the Remora uses a 20-35-ish watt pump or larger. Pinwheel can use slightly less and get a lot more air (but not always water) because the modification into a skimmer pump reduces drag... so less energy. That spray induction is also as loud as an airport take-off zone.

Price: Remoras are overpriced. Woefully overpriced. You can get far better skimmers at the same pricepoint with known performance specs. My old EuroReef RS-80 was the same price as the Remora Pro and they were not in the same league. The AquaC remora used to advertise a 1/2 filled cup of green tea and say "two weeks of skimming". They took that page down a while back. I would point people to that and then show a traditional in-sump pinwheel skimmer after a few hours... same result.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Oh and check out my skimmer thread if you want more AquaC Remora history. ;)

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
On mine I had to completely seal above the injector elbow so it can't draw air from below the cup. Depending on how the cup is placed in the body of the skimmer it may draw more or less air, those making the skimmer very inconsistent. Also I had to put a piece of closed cell foam around the bottom neck under the cup to keep good skimmate air from going straight past the skimmate column. Its just a bad design. But once I sealed off all the gaps and made a consistent place for the air to come in, the skim improved a bit. But mind you I had to buy a $75 pump to get anything good out of this skimmer. The pump is an Eheim Compact+ 2000 rated to 528gph at 35 watts. Right now to push through that skimmer its taking it down to 190-200gph at 22watts. So that skimmer even at full throttle can only manage half of what it could if it wasn't attatched to the skimmer.

To be blatantly honest. When I didn't know anything, it seemed like a great skimmer. But once I learned about skimmers, partially from Doc, I realize how terribly ineffective this thing is..

So, would you have any suggestions for HOB skimmer Doc?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts