The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a tight budget. I'd really like to find someone leaving the hobby or moving around the northern midwest. I'm in the Twin Cities but will travel to Wisconsin (western), Iowa (north and east Iowa), and anywhere in Minnesota to pick it up.

Hoping to pay $1,000.00 give or take. Ran a 30 gallon reef for several years and been out of the hobby for a few. Looking to return.

Wife says stand and canopy have to be oak. Tank can be all glass or acrylic. Looking for decent sized sump, skimmer and power compact/metal halide lighting.

I've seen several systems that meet these specs but always a bit late in getting to them. Thought I'd try posting proactively here. If you know someone or you yourself are looking to sell shoot me a PM here or an email at [email protected].

Thanks.

Todd
Hastings, MN
[email protected]

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hey Michael;

Just to tick him off, tell him what you paid for your 90... :dance:

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
Thank you MedicineMan :cool: FREE is a good starting price. Of course that was before I replaced the pine stand with an oak stand and canopy, replaced the PC lights with a new T5 lighting system, got it drilled and installed an overflow, got SouthDown sand for a DSB, bought more rock to fill it, replaced the skimmer, and replaced the return pump, and stocked it full of fish and corals ;)

I still try to tell the wife it was free :idea:

FYI: Both thee anemonies are doing great. The Blue tang, Cardinal , Scopas Tang, and Clown are still doing well.

Have you ever heard from the other Mike? The one that took your 40 gallon? After he got it he never showed up again. Guess he was just out for free stuff, Sad.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No fair! : ) Nice find Michael and thanks for keeping an eye out for me. Still looking here. I'm considering just building my own with parts rather then trying to find a complete system or most of one. Every 90 or so around that is a complete or near complete system folks are tearing down seems to be in the Chicago area or on one of the coasts.

I think I'll try to be patient for a while longer. : )

Todd

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
If you are going that route then most likely in the local paper you can find a cheap tank and stand. The only issue would be that if you want a sump you might have to get it drilled. I did an it was not too bad. You can even get kits for the overflow and such.

Best of luck, feel free to drop a line when you get it running. I am sure we could get you a frag or two. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, my problem is my plumbing and electrical confidence or lack thereof. If I find a system thats up and running I can basically just put the puzzle back together. If I build my own I've got to do more then just reconstruct.

When I get everything up and running I'll have to take you up on your offer or maybe stop by a Rochester meeting to say hey. I'm in the SE suburbs and we make trips to Iowa nearly every other weekend for Hawkeye sporting events and family gatherings in NE Iowa or to visit a couple friends that live in the Rochester area.

I check the Minneapolis and St. Paul papers every weekend but no luck thus far. I'll keep that up as well.

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
I guess I am happy and sad to hear that. Sucks that he is having trouble good to know he was not just gold digging. What can I say, makes me sound like an ***. Does he hang out here at all?

So how is that solar flare you call a tank? ;) How is the tri-color doing, is it still all green for you?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Tri-color is definately a tri-color, however he has decided that he wants to encrust the entire tank, so he has covered the initial rock and started to cement other rocks together, still only the original tip that he started as; as the only stalk. Wierd! Must think there is too much flow and needs a darn good base! No did not make you sound like an *** just that a lot of people have asked if he has dropped off the face of the earth. He lost a couple of fish, I do not know if he frequents the boards or not anymore. I have to call him on occassion just to make sure he is still alive! Hey, my monti's are growing about 1/8" every two to three days! Now with the Calcium reactor, they should grow even faster! I did notice that once I got the kalkwasser reactor online, the cyano in the new thank that started, decided that it would be content and start disappearing! I knew there was a reason I loved kalk!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts