The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I caught the starfish halfway through the process and took 30 pictures, large, from this point forward. I shrunk and saved this one at 50% quality so it doesn't take up much room online. I have the big clear ones if anyone is interested in seeing them!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
I am IMPressed!

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
How many starfish do you have in the tank? And no...saying 1000's isn't a good answer now. ;) I am just curious if you have just one or two and they mated. If one, does anyone know if a starfish can reproduce by themselves? That picture is just awesome..I love it, esp the close up! Thanks so much for sharing it!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
WOW! I have one of those sand sifting stars as well! Very interesting pic!:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only have the one star fish. It was acting extra wierd today, climbing the glass real fast and running around like it was looking for something. I went out and bought new crushed coral sand this morning and spread a layer around so it would think it had landed in a different place. Then I turned up the filter pump valve to create an extra strong current. It walked around looking for a good spot in the current, using 1000 wheel drive on the quickly moving sandscape to try and get to the busiest area. I sat down for a few minutes, and when I looked over again I saw it letting loose so I shut off the pumps and ran for my camera. I don't know if these eggs will hatch or not. I covered some over with sand so they wouldn't get filtered or eaten by the fish.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
That is really cool!

how long have you had the starfish?

i have no idea what the life cycle of the starfish is. hopfully it does not have a planktonic larval stage. if it does not then you may find yourself with a lot of little starfish.:D

G~

·
Registered
16 Posts
WOW That is really cool!!!!!!!!!!! how old/big is it? what kind of substrate are you using? Southdown?

Do you feed it anything special or does it just sift and thrive?

CONGRATS on your offsprings! :beer:

JP

·
Registered
340 Posts
Awesome pictures! Had to run the laptop over to my wife to share!

·
Super Moderator
22,415 Posts
That is WAY ,WAY Cool!(had ta outWAY Shirley :rolleyes: )
i call pick of the litter!
the one on the left,next to the right leg, it looks like it's smiling to me! :funny:
(sorry, flashback to my days at the LFS, when customers wanted to hand pick their feeders,,or school of neons):rolleyes: :funny:
congrats and thanks for the cool pics!
mebbe you will get lucky,and some might make it.
looks like enuf for one for every TRT'er, get those shipping vials ready! LOL!

·
Super Moderator
22,415 Posts
BTW: my percs spawn again,,,,
but anti-climatic after this post,,,,
hehehehe
wait til my porc puffer expells eggs again,,,,
I'll show ya!:D ;) LOL j/k

·
Registered
852 Posts
Great Pics! Definite candidates for publication :)

·
Super Moderator
27,699 Posts
Far out! I'm sending this link to my non-reefin' friends. What a rare treat!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
cath said:
...What a rare treat!
Yeah, that's what the corals and fish are saying...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts