The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my 180 gallon is going got lights mounted and finish tomorrow, but this story is about my 33 gallon new tank.

I bought a 16 lb rock at lfs. He is going out of business and this rock was from his reef tank.
$100.

It is covered in purple corraline.head to toe
Has a huge section of macro algae on it ,looks like four leaf clovers but one leaf.

Now here comes the kicker !!!

I set up the tank figuring cycle will kill macro algae or some stuff but w/e and two days later I am in bed looking at tank and i see something.

Out pop :worm: not one but two peppermint shrimp abou 3 inches long and they are mated and a host of little baby shrimp no bigger than a pinky nail length pop out as well.
Ok that isn't enough right well top of rock has about 15 polyps of brown zoo things with little glow inthe dark green centers !!!!!!!!
OMG
I love this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ps internet next week pics to come !

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes u aint kidding i hope they live
temp fluctuating some my AC is busted
salt 1.022 or w/e
amonia .1
nitrate .1
nitrate 35 (jsut did water change hope it helped)
ph 8.2
calcium 430
bought and feb frozen brine today

it is a new tank and they may drop but the only main rock in their is this fresh rock and it was out of water at most an hour with wet newspaper , (pray)

we shall see .

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
They have stuff to help with the ammonia. You could see if someone will baby sit until the cycle is done. Good luck and great extras.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dont know to baby sit and the amonia isnt to bad if it rises i will maybe jsut do a huge water change ???

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Okay, doing water changes during cycle will prolong the process. Just watch em and try to keep the algae off the polyps.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no algae and yea it might prolong cycle but it might help shrimp live through cycle ?????????

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I would do several small water changes over the course of a week.

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
What a great bonus! Hope the critters survive the cycle.

Dick:)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so I woke to find a clear ghost of a shell that looks like a dead shrimp,

I figured I lost one and was sad all morning.

Well either it shed skin like snakes do or I had THREE and ONE died cause the mom and dad shrimp are fine.

They are so timid though they run if i even come close to tank. I did another 20% water change today, and I fed some brine in a little tube and one of the shrimp darted out of the hole and grabed a big peice from the end of hte tube hahah AWESOME. they are slowly coming out now as i shut lights, Two peppermint shrimp one is about 2 inches the other like inch and half.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok those 15 polyps I mentioned like 10 more shot up ! lol

One of em attached to a macro algae leaf instead of rock.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
NYer said:
Ok those 15 polyps I mentioned like 10 more shot up ! lol

One of em attached to a macro algae leaf instead of rock.

Very cool ! we have been very patient but I believe pics are in order!!! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts