The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would my livestock survive if I completely changed my sandbed and changed out all of my liverock? I'm thinking of maybe getting fully cured liverock. Even though I think my liverock is very slowly coming around it appears to have some small purple spots coming back in. I seriously me very slowly its still 90% brown and green looking. I just feel like when I change my sandbed it is going to be counter-productive to have this nasty liverock still sitting in the tank. Even though I am going to scrub and rinse this liverock some more if I keep it. Any opinions let me know.

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
i would say no,..... UNLESS you did it SLOW,...i mean really slow...change the sand bed over a period of 2 months...then slowly replace LR for about 3 months...that should keep from much of a cycle. if you want LR full of life & not just algae...your searching for gold now of days...i used to be able to get stuff like that..had everything on it...no..you got to order it from the internet..then bad bacteria builds up cause its shipped dry..then you have to cure it..more stuff dies..mainly corraline algae & fire worms is all your left with..maybe if your lucky some feather dusters..but there filter feeders soooo..lol

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
take everything out. yank the sand completely. put the LR in so that you can get a siphon around all of it. then enjoy the tank. every water change siphon out the accumulated detritus. in about 3-4 months your detrital amount will be significantly less than it was when you first started this process. at this point you can yank everything out again and put sand back in if you want. :rolleyes: if you do put sand back in make sure that you elevate all LR so that the LR does not touch the sand at all.

LR comes to you already full of phosphates. it is just the nature of where they collect it. finding truely cured LR is not easy. actually the stuff that the LFS is prolly selling for the least amount of money is prolly the most cured stuff they have. the less growing on it the better. back in the old days they did not sell the stuff that everyone is clammoring for. it was considered not ready, and pollution hazard. you had to wait a few weeks before the LR bins became available.

G~

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
No you can't do that(that's your filter).you could do your sand.But your rock would lose everything even if you took it out and brush it off in SW,you couldn't put it back in the same spot.

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
umm Geoff, my parents old tanks back when i was a kid may have not lasted long, but providers DID sell LR that had things i still dont know what they were on them. they were full of life. but i havent seen rock like that in over 12 years. i even got an eel in one of the Live rocks...im not joking

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
when are you talking? i am talking the late 80's here, this was back when only Caribbean LR was sold. if you really wanted to get brand new LR you could, but you had to actually ask for it. the LR on display has already been curing for a few weeks.

G~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts