The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Kevin, and I'm fishoholic.

I have been in the hobby for close to six years but have just moved to the Beaverton area from Southern California this week. So hello to all my new neighbors.

I have kept seahorses as well as softies, in the past, but plan on setting up a wrasse/reef tank in the near future, as well as another seahorse tank. Currently my only tank is my sump filled with liverock and a MAg 3 in my garage. :cry:

Any advice on good LFS's, frag swaps (I don't have my propagation system up so I'd just be a frag purchase kind of guy for now) or points of intrest would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
11,345 Posts
Welcome:wavey:

Cant help as far as LFS as I live in bend and am forced to primarily do things via the internet as there arent any here.

Being as I live over here i havent participated in any of the PNWMAS stuff although i am a member and would like to sometime soon. Lots of friendly helpful people here though and im sure someone else will chime in.

Good luck with whatever you do end up doing as far as your tank(s)

·
ALWAYS MORE 2 LEARN!!
1,304 Posts
hello and welcome!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello from you neighbor to the south. You may want to try pnwmas.org for a little more vigorous welcome. Most of the members hang out over there now and don't always check this message board.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Welcome!

hope to see you on the general boards and in the seahorse forum. Where in beaverton do you live?

as far as stores i would highly recommend Waves Marine.
there is also:
Upscales
Seahorse
Saltwater Fanta-seas
Soutas

to name a few. Waves is closest to us in Beaverton with Upscales pulling a close second.

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
Welcome Kevin, now I don't have to feel like the newest guy around anymore. There are a few of us, Twitterbait, Bemo and myself as well as others I'm sure that are in Beaverton. Where are you located. We have a pretty good assortment of LFS around although none seem to be closer than 20 minutes. Why can't one of the LFS move to Beaverton?? Where in Cali did you move from? I just got up here from Nor Cal a year ago. Are you Intel or Nike?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! Thanks to everyone for the warnm welcome.

I checked out Seahorse NW yesterday and was fairly pleased. I had to go there first just because seahorse was the name of the store and he has a link to another site I belong too. Good excuse to go to Portland anyways. Woody is a pretty nice guy and even offered to build me my custom tank and canopy for fairly inexpensive. So I'm pretty pleased about that. Also found a great pice of LR (I'm one of those) so that was cool.

I'm going to check out Waves and Upscale today. Hope they are nice places since they are so much closer to home.

Nice to see I have some neighbors around here. I live off of Scholl's and Murray. Nice area for sure. What about you?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Twitterbait, tashier, and I live near the Tanasbourn Mall 185th and walker are. I would also pass my vote on Waves as a good LFS. Let us know when you have got your tank setup and we will come see.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the chance to visit Waves and Upscale today. Upscale has some very nice display SPS tanks that I loved, but I bought everything at Waves. Joel is a great guy and really took the time to spend with me so he gets my vote for the best store I have been to so far. I might stop looking now.

I got a 20g long from him that was predrilled so I plan on setting that up tonight and then waiting a couple more weeks for the rocks to cycle better before starting my 65g tank. This way I can go back and get some of those killer frags I saw today also.

It will be nice to have fish in the house again. They are my source for zen so I really miss them.

I do think I'm going to have the most outrageous 20g on the block for a bit. My sump is rated for a 180g tank. I'll have close to 100lbs of LR. My UV is an 18w and the cannister is a fluval 304. The skimmer is a Remora so at least that's not overdoing it to much. Not sure if I'm going to take the T5's out of my other hood or just use the 131w PC fixture I already have. Still have to work out the details but am going to do the plumbing tonight.

Will be nice to have a tank around for sure. I'll see you all around the boards.

·
DUDE
893 Posts
Hows the tank pledosophy? Did you get that sump plumbed in okay? What kind of t5's are they? I would stick with them if you could. Later Ryan

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello pledosophy, didn't find this thread until now. So you live around Scholls and Murray? I live by there too. Let me know if you need anything.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Vanz YGPM

R3 the tank is doing great. I added some corals, but am kind of taking things slow for a bit. Growing great pod life. There is a tremndous amount of LR in the system. i stopped counting a 100lbs. A lot of it is rubble rock in the sump but the display has a generous portion of LR as well. I am using a Mag 3 for a return and have a MJ 900 that goes on for 10 minutes every three hours just to keep the area behind the rock work clear. For lighting I went with a 150 HQI, 14K. Am happy so far but am topping off almost a gallon a day. Need to get an auto top off unit up on my next day off.

Still choosing the fish (right now it is fishless). If I can talk my wife into the 20g gravity fed refugium on top of what I already have I'm going to go with a green manderin, if not then not. I am also looking at some gobies, some flasher wrasses, and maybe a shrimp. Have a lot to decide.

I think I am going to wait a few months to get my 65g tank going. I want to do it right and to design it how i want is going to take some cash, but better to pimp it all out at once then do it step by step IMO. I don't want to settle. Thinking about getting a new stand and canopy as well. I want them to match but my canopy need to be about 1' taller. Know anyone that does custom canopy work? Sucks because back home I could have made my own in Grandpa's garage. Just might do that anyhow. We'll see.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts