The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was wondering if anyone had some step by step instructions on tearing a tank down and resealing it. i have a 180 i may possibly be replacing the back panel on since it is chipped. it doesnt leak and isnt set up yet but with the chip there it worries me so i wanna do it right the first time so any instructions that are step by step would help alot. ik you want to make sure you clean all the old silicone off and make sure its spotless also i am wondering what the best type of silicone to use would be any help would be appreciated thanks

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
Use a razor blade to scrape off the old silicone, make sure you get the aquarium safe kind, let it cure for 48 hours and then check for leaks. When putting it on use the handle end of a spoon you dont want or something curved to run up the sides pushing it in getting rid of any air. Before it even begins to dry use a razor blade to clean it up. If it cures even a little before you do this you could easily pull the silicone away from the edges breaking the seal.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
1- you have to remove 100% of the Silicone. This means all panels have to be taken off, cleaned. Also you need something highly acidic to remove any residue.

2- after you have cleaned the tank you want to put a bead around the entire bottom of the tank. This way when you set your side panels and front/back you will be sealing from two points.

3- same with sides, but when you do your bead start with the "edge" on both side panels, then clamp your front and back to the sides.

4- after your sides, front, and back are clamped. Use your silicone to do all the corners inside the tank. I use a credit card to press the silicone in, also letting escape any air.
Just cut the corner off the Credit card to give you your desired bead size.

5- I would let cure for at least 48 hours, but really you should give it a week just for the sake of being sure.

Silicone, "Dap" 100% silicone will serve you well.

Also when re sealing a tank you might as well build a Rim for the top. This will allow equal pressure distributed along the top of the tank.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Run painters tape (or some other easy to remove type) along where you want the excess silicon to stop. Keep a cup of very lightly soapy water to hand and just use your finger to smooth it out. Peal the tape with the excess silicon off before it dries, and wipe the silicon off your fingers before the water is gone.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f76/80-gallon-custom-build-thread-203345.html is not as thorough as you may want, but skip down to post #3 and read the next few for the basic idea.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys for some input the chip os on the very edge of the tank where the rear and side panel line up it isnt all the way to the seam but with it cracked id hate for it to run and end up blowing out while set up in my house. i ended up getting the tank pretty cheap so even if i gotta put a little into it thats fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts