The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for venting, but what a crummy day... I got stuck working late, had to miss a skydiving charity event. REALLY could have used a couple jumps today! Also late enough for my contingency plan of a friend's bachelor/bachelorette party bus thing (apparently people combine these now?!) Aaaaaaanyway, I had to stop and get a jug of RODI for my top off and stumbled upon a beautiful Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse. I have been really wanting one for my tank, so I decided to treat myself and took him home. After a nice, stress-free acclimation I couldn't find my clear plastic transfer container, so I opted to carefully use a *formerly* very nice net. His jaw became stuck, causing the struggle of a lifetime to gently/safely free him without hurting the little guy. I had to cut the mesh with some microscopic scissors, one tiny string at a time. He is free, scared as all get out, and hiding as would be expected. Problem is, he has a tiny bit of net mesh still stuck on his lower teeth. Just curious if anyone else has had this happen, and hoping that it will not impede his eating. Ideally it will work itself free and vanish soon. I'll be so bummed if I lose this fish to stress/injury. I haven't lost a fish in almost 8 years, and I don't want to start with this guy :(

·
Registered
143 Posts
if this is the worst day of your life, you will surely die very happy!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hah thanks guys :) I didn't mean to be so melodramatic. It was just one of those days. As of right now, the fish is swimming around normally, and I can see the tiniest bit of blue on his lip. It really isn't that much, kinda looks like he kissed a blue sharpie. Regardless, I take the care of my pets seriously. Even if it's just a small fish, he is now depending on me to keep him safe and I feel like a dink for having caused him unnecessary trouble. I'm hoping the cleaner shrimp will become curious and snag the offending fuzz off his mouth :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep it looks like the bit of net has worked itself free as far as I can tell. The new guy was swimming normally throughout the tank like he owns it, and eating well :) I see a small discoloration, maybe minor scale damage on his side, probably from our fight with the net. Hoping he heals up quick. Awesome little fish, and apparently tough as nails!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This guy is super hard to get a good picture of, but I had better luck with a video. In the video, you can see the slight discoloration on his left side, but it doesn't look too bad. I think it will heal up soon.

The video is way better quality on Vimeo. Sorry about the audio. I have three dogs tap dancing in the background :)

·
Hydro-Dynamic
13,149 Posts
if this is the worst day of your life, you will surely die very happy!
+1 :)
Hey glad to hear he's doing well. Garlic Extreme will help speed recovery,
even leaving the skimmer on. Soak food and dose 1 drop/10g daily for
4 days to a week. Looks really pretty! Nice find

Now make a transfer 'solo' cup :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts