The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a pink tipped haitian anemone. It found a home in a niche of rock and seemed to be happy. Today it sucked itself under some rockwork and all of its tentacles inside itself. We're new to the reef keeping scene and any advice woulod be greatly appreciated!
oh and 90gal tank, 20 gal sump, cant remember all the other stuff....Amy and Chris

·
Registered
363 Posts
saltwaterkid said:
Recently purchased a pink tipped haitian anemone. It found a home in a niche of rock and seemed to be happy. Today it sucked itself under some rockwork and all of its tentacles inside itself. We're new to the reef keeping scene and any advice woulod be greatly appreciated!
oh and 90gal tank, 20 gal sump, cant remember all the other stuff....Amy and Chris
What are the water parameters testing at?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Also: how long has your tank been up and running? Do you have a skimmer? What kind?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so Im not sure what we have exactly for lighting or waht kind of skimmer we have....our brother-in-law help set it all up(hermitcrabsoul) We have not been directly feeding the anemone. I guess I was under the impression it would eat the mysis shrimp like the fish.
We took off the small rock it was hiding under and it has expanded back to normal.

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
I would just let him do his thing.....
If he's wedged in there, the worst thing you could do is try to remove him. He'll get all torn up.
If he doesnt come out I'd dig the sand under him a little to get him out and try it again. Mine moved around, expanded, withdrew, ect for a few weeks before he was happy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the tank has been up for about 1 1/2 months. Everyone we talked to seemed to think it was okay to get it....now I feel like we jumped in too soon!

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Yes the tank should have been more mature but mistakes are made. It needs more than the mysis. Mine likes shrimp or silversides cut up small. I feed every three days. You need to find out what kind of lighting see what is on the bulb.

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
Its really good idea to know your lighting, so when you shop for specimens you can find out what lighting they like and get a good match for your tank. Buying without knowing this will just cost you money and dead organisms, just as if you put a shark in a goldfish tank, know your animal and do a little research on its lighting, eating and tankmate habits, it will save you dough and your purchases life. Wish you luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts