The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spotted a worm in my refugium last night, I knew it was there but have never seen it before. It lives under the SB, at the bottom, at up until last night, the only signs of it have been "tubes/holes" that it has left along the glass. It looks to be segmented, light brown in color, length ?, the tubes/holes are about the size of a drink/soda straw and they are not permantent. The tubes/holes dissapear after a few minutes to a few days as the substrate around them collaspes. It is eating the SB the way a cucumber will and I have coarser substrate (2mm-5mm) not southdown. I have never seen it on top of the SB nor have I even see the tubes running horizontal, only vertical from the bottom of the SB going up. It also never appears to breach the surface, instead stopping about 1/4"- 1mm-2 mm from the surface. The mouth looked to have some tenacle/feelers (4-6 as best I could tell), similair looking to the whiskers on a catfish, around the mouth opening and the mouth appears to be able to open up as big as the worms body. The body also can "extend/retract" as it got wider (what I could see of it) when it started to back down the hole/tube. I'm guessing it's at least 6" long, maybe longer, based on what I could see of it last night and I never saw it's tail. I couldn't get a pic as my wife and kids have the camera and they are in TX right now. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately I didn't get any of your halimeda but I'll definately be more than happy to take some off your hands in the future... :) I'll also be glad to take any lugworms or spaghetti worms if you find yourself with too many of them... :D

I figure it came from one of the pieces of carribean/FL LR I have bought over the past year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.