The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tank is running BB, nothing in it yet, well, except for the rock, so I guess the most important part is in it...so now I should wait? I'm testing the water to make sure I get all the parameters where they need to be...can this be done quickly as there are no animals to be affected-but I sure don't want to do anything to kill off the rock...pic of the tank...

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
If the rock has been allowed to fully cure (or has been cooked) so that there is nothing left dead, dying or decaying on it, you won’t have to wait long at all.

The last tank I set up from scratch I bought fully cured live rock, brought it home and put it in my tank. I turned on all the pumps and skimmer, and let it sit in the dark for five weeks. During that time I made sure all my parameters were stable, such as temp, specific gravity, calcium and alk. And I made sure all my automated and manual support structure for those parameters was working ok. I didn’t pay much attention to ammonia, nitrate or nitrite, because I knew those would cycle through during the five-week darkness phase.

When I was done I performed an 80% water change, ramped up the photoperiod to what I wanted, then immediately started to populate it with Seriatopora, Pocillopora, Pavona, Stylophora and Montipora. Once I saw a light dusting of algae on the rocks and glass, I bought about a dozen Margarites and about 80 astreas.

·
Registered
682 Posts
BTW, I've read your blog and I can see you've had some adventures in plumbing. ;)

Nice to read that that's all fixed.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, I believe I'll wait a little being that the rock is cured and in the tank, it will probably be a good idea to wait for any excess shedding that might occur...also thanks for the nice comments regarding my blog-its been an adventure, lol.!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts