The Reef Tank banner

Which one would last the longest

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to buy my stand for my tank as everybody does in wood, you know black panel we see everywhere, but then someone told me they had steel one as good and cheaper.

Mine in wood was $ 499 for my 150g and the steel one is $289 black finish and they say it will out last the wood one and its not galvanized i asked. Anybody have a steel one can verify that they're as good as wood and outlast them?

I would think they would rust , wood don't rust. Its certainly sturdy now but in 5-10 years.... can i paint it while the tank is runing?? Any comment or advice on that choice.

· Premium Member
27,090 Posts
Steel is going to take some maintenance to keep it in tip-top shape. If you notice any corrosion, it has to bee cleaned and painted. It could be sprayed with the tank running, but it would need to be masked off and only short bursts. If you touch things up as they appear, this should be no issue.

The steel stand is not going to hide your equipment.

· Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, actually i like the mad scientist look lol. its also easier access, its in my Pc cats play room lol. A multiple use room lol.

· Premium Member
5,373 Posts
I'm a semi-retired carpenter so it's wood. A good stand will last you a lifetime,also lends itself to hanging equipment on the insides or on the doors. Any modifications are much easier than having to bust out a welder, ever tried cutting steel in your house? Rust never sleeps!

· Registered
2,067 Posts
You could get the steel and then contact a powder coating facility in your area. I have several in my area and they usually are pretty reasonable. Later if you wanted you can have skins made to conceal all you equipment.

· Above water diver
296 Posts
Seconding what ynot said . . . rust never sleeps.

My first tank almost 6 years ago was a steel stand. The rust stained my carpet, was unsightly and as already noted, it was a stand so I couldnt hide things inside. Been a wood guy since 2007!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.