The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first for the WOOOO HOOOO....

The camera shop called today...the camera is fixed AND covered by warranty, which means I can go pick it up this evening when the wife gets off work. So that means more pictures than anyone here wants to see!!!! And just in time for the last coat of paint on the base of my stand. Now I have to get off my (insert horse like creature name here) and get to work on it..no excuses...and I can't just "tell" everyone its done and looks great now.

For the question.....I just went and bought all my plumbing (who would have thought 50 darn bucks!?) and I decided to use 3/4" braided tubing for my return (no elbo's). My 20g sump will be easily moved around and I wanted to make sure the return could be fiddled with also. So, I got 6' of this stuff, and its going to run from my mag 12 (I bought several of those couplings that convert from female threads to 3/4 inch tubing ridges) to a ball-valve...then to a "T" from the "T" to the main tank...the other side of the "T" will come out and hit another ball-valve and then to the fuge. I did the first valve so I could throttle back the big-ole mag 12 if I need to on this little single overflow, the second valve is to control how much water the fuge gets.....ok on to my question...

How do I make sure water isn't going to leak out at the hose fittings? I know its super super snug and probably won't leak...but should I use cable ties to tighten it up more? Is there some kind of glue to use on the hose? I would like to keep it so I can remove it if needed...but that isn't a "have to". Like I said it seems EXTREMLY snug and the tubing seems to "form" around the ridges on the tubing, but this mag 12's output per hour is telling me I better be safe than sorry.

Any help would be great.

Dave

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hose clamps!

Look for the kind you use like on a car for all the external hoses and any hoses under water you can get the plastic clamps online. WHatever you do, you need to clamp them.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NewReefer....
Thanks...where do I get the plastic ones? I would feel safer using those on ALL of the fittings...I know the metal ones will rust even if they are above water...makes me nervous having rusty clamps over water......

cable ties won't work eh? thats what I was afraid of. Well looks like I will need about 9 of em..

dave

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NewReefer,
Are those clamps built so that you can put them on hoses that are already connected without having to take them appart? The reason I ask is that I might set the tank up for the wet test and then move it into the house with cable ties, while I wait for marine depot to get those out to me. It looks like they open up so that I could do it this way.....if not Ill just hold out till they get here.

Thanks for all the help...

·
Registered
658 Posts
I also used zip ties on my hose/barb connections... works like a champ.
What size is the tube in the overflow? If it's 3/4" that Mag12 will easily overwhelm it... I had to add a second pipe to mine because it couldn't keep up with my Mag5 at a 6' head... and you'll be pushing about twice the volume.
HTH

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reefer Addict.

Well the overflow tube is 1" inside diameter....so it will go a "little" faster than your 3/4 Also i will be using this to feed the fuge also...so that will take some of my power. lastly I think I am going to split the return at the top of the over flow, and push the water out in two directions one towards the front of the tank, and the other down the length of my thank..that means the return will have to hit at least 1 good elbo and slow it down alittle.

if all these things don't slow it down enough then that is not so bad news.

If its too fast still I am going to switch to a mag 5 or so for a return. Then I will hide the 12 behind my rock work in the main tank, and run a PVC closed loop type system under my sand and rocks. thats why im going the wet test with everything installed. If the 12 is too powerful (im kinda hoping it is) then Poof davey gets a "closed loop" (just won't have drilled holes...so really it will just be like a GIANT submerged powerhead with multiple outlets.

Either way I win.

Dave

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes...leave it to Buzz.....

Buzz I have a feeling I will be taking pictures of everything in sight. My brother is coming to town today so he is going to pick up the camera for me.....so I should have pictures to post tonight....(not of my clam!).

Well I got all of the tubing and valves put together....(zip ties not in place yet) and I just finished the stand pipe, the durso pipe came with the tank, as did a temporary return pipe for the overflow (gonna replace the return with one that splits the water in two directions). Of course Murphy's law struck right away. I misjudged the overflow bulkhead, so I have to go back and get a smaller fitting to attach the stand pipe to the bulk head. I got a 1.5 guess it was a 1.25....oh well....

my brother should be here any minute with the camera...gonna have him help put the tank back on the stand, and I might get this puppy filled with water TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BLASTED.....the wife just called...gotta go to the "inlaws" for dinner....so much for an early wet test....**** YOU MURPHY!

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
New Reefer...I just have to say...I love your avatar! With some of the posts, your avatar just looks so perfect! heh heh

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
ReefDave said:
BLASTED.....the wife just called...gotta go to the "inlaws" for dinner....so much for an early wet test....**** YOU MURPHY!
Yeah, and to think, you could have gotten some good pics of the clam during that wet test.... Why not kill two birds with one stone... :beer:

Thanks Jimmer.... ;)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
for my 2001 post, i will simply say:

no comment :D

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Ya better get busy with the pic taking as you have a long way to catch up with me!!;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts